The Roland SE-02 Analog Synthesizer was designed in collaboration with Studio Electronics and is the first instrument in the Boutique Designer Series. The SE-02 utilizes authentic discrete analog circuitry to create its distinctly vintage sound and vast programming options. The panel is equipped with an array of high-quality knobs and switches for one-to-one control over parameters, as well as a powerful on-board sequencer.
The sound engine boasts three voltage-controlled oscillators (VCO), a voltage-controlled 24 dB low-pass filter (VCF), and a dual gain-stage amplifier (VCA). Each of the temperature-stabilized VCOs offers automatic tuning with selections for six different waveforms. Additionally, the Roland SE-02 provides a wide selection of tones beyond the classic "vintage" tones including three cross-modulation (XMod) types, a ripping filter feedback loop, envelope sweeping and inverting, oscillator sync, a noise generator, a tempo-syncing LFO with nine waveforms, and a tempo-syncing delay.
The enclosure is solidly built with a rugged metal top and fits Roland's optional K-25m or DK-01 accessory docks. There are a variety of input and output jacks on 1/8" connectors including a dedicated stereo headphone output, stereo line output, and stereo external audio input, as well as CV inputs for the VCF, CV pitch, gate, and trigger in and out. For MIDI control, the SE-02 offers full-sized, 5-pin DIN connectors for in and out, as well as a USB Micro-B connector, which enables audio and MIDI transmission. Chain two or more SE-02s to increase the polyphony for even greater sound explorations.
The 16-step sequencer adds motion and dimension to your sounds. It can sync to external tempo via MIDI, USB, or trigger input, and per-step gate time, adjustable glide, tempo, and patch number are stored with each sequence. Synth parameters can be automated by sequencing changes—just press a step and move a control. Creative performance features allow you to set shuffle, scale, direction, and first/last steps on the fly. The Roland SE-02 is powered by the included power cord and adapter.
- Discrete analog circuitry with knob-per-function interface
- Three voltage-controlled oscillators with six waveforms
- Temperature-stabilized oscillators with automatic tuning
- 24 dB low-pass filter and dual gain-stage amplifier
- Three types of cross modulation (XMOD), feedback loop, and noise generator
- Tempo-syncing LFO with nine waveforms
- Tempo-syncing digital delay with bypass to maintain analog signal path
- Save and recall sounds with 384 preset and 128 user locations
- Musical and intuitive pattern sequencer with song mode
- Sequence notes, gate time, glide, and synth parameters
- CV, VCF CV, and gate inputs, plus trigger in/out
- External input for routing audio through the SE-02’s filter section
- Standard MIDI, USB-MIDI, and USB-audio
- Create a polyphonic synth by using Chain Mode to connect two or more SE-02s together via MIDI