Available for download, Blue Cat Audio Late Replies is a plug-in that provides an eight-tap delay-pattern module, two feedback loops, a host of built-in effects, and a bonus to pique the interests of pro-audio people: This plug-in allows you to nest third-party plug-ins all throughout the chain; as a guitarist might route their favorite overdrive into the effects-loop of a delay pedal, this plug-in lets you use your favorite processor in concert with the echo.
Twenty-five built-in effects are included with this module; delays, pitch-shifters, modulation effects, and more are all at your disposal. You can place these effects across various points in the chain, such as on the input, throughout each tap of the pattern module, in the two feedback loops, or on the output. Furthermore, anywhere you can instantiate a built-in effect, you can also loop in a third-party VST or AU plug-in. This creates multitudinous possibilities for your delay-based sound-design schemes.
On the pattern module, note the ability to dictate the placement, level, and panning of each tap, as well as four slots for built-in, third-party effects. These taps can then be fed into two feedback loops, each of which is as discrete as you want it to be. Cross-feed/crosstalk controls allow you to govern the amount of interplay. Each feedback loop also provides four insert-effects slots.
Every section of this plug-in provides you controls for mixing individual timbre and settings separately, while a ducking module lets you rhythmically attenuate the resulting overall effect. You can duck a signal through internal or external sidechain inputs. Here you'll find most of the standard compression controls: threshold, attack, and release. You also get an “amount” control for the degree of sidechain implementation. Other macro controls abound, such as a stereo-spread knob, a base-delay control on the input, and the ability to lock the ducking parameters in place; that way, when you go browsing through the hundreds of presets—or roll the dice in the randomizer function—you can lock-in the dynamics-taming portion of the plug-in.
Late Replies can automatically sync to the host tempo of your DAW, and works with Windows and Mac systems. It operates in DirectX, VST, and AU plug-in formats. You’ll also note its efficient DSP; when this plug-in isn’t receiving signal, it smoothly bypasses itself, so as not to tax your workstation.
Key Features at a Glance
- Delay with built-in effects and support for third-party plug-ins
- 8-taps pattern section with integrated mixer and plug-ins slots
- 2 feedback loops with cross-feed and plug-ins slots
- 25 built-in effects, including EQ, filters, pitch and frequency shifter, delays, modulation effects, compressor, gate, bit crusher, wave shaper, and more
- Supports third-party VST, VST3 and AU plug-ins
- Tempo-host synchronization
- Global stereo-spread control
- Over 100 editable presets
- Integrated ducking, with internal and external side chains
- Comprehensive visual feedback with detailed impulse response displays
- Included feedback and output brickwall limiters
- No latency
- Native DSP code for optimal performance
- Full MIDI control and automation support with silent, zipper-free parameters update, advanced response control, and MIDI Learn
- No CPU load on idle: When the plug-in is fed with silence, the processing smoothly shuts down, to optimize the CPU usage of your Digital Audio Workstation
- Apply skins and customize your interface with transparency management
- Smooth bypass: activate/deactivate the plug-in with no noise
- Full-featured integrated presets manager
- Copy and paste the state of the plug-in between instances using the system clipboard
- Supports all sample rates