Aiming to push the limits of previous iterations in this series, Dangerous Music’s CONVERT-AD+ is an analog-to-digital converter suitable for use in mixing and mastering situations. The unit brings the musical transparency for which Dangerous is famous then goes further by adding useful features and tonal-coloring possibilities. For instance, it offers two sets of XLR inputs that allow you to switch between sources, allowing you to audition different mastering chains or test your master against a reference. Zoomable meters are also on hand, letting you focus on the upper 10 dB of the scale. Another useful—albeit sneaky—inclusion is Dangerous’s proprietary Clip Guard technology, which is explained in depth in the features section.
For coloring the sound, Dangerous has included two features, the first being switchable Hammond Transformers to give the sound more analog heft, the second being a custom-tuned Emphasis control that imparts compression, second-order harmonics, and low-end, midrange, and treble frequencies in pleasant proportions. The transformers are switchable on/off, while the Emphasis control is blendable.
On the analog side, the CONVERT-AD+ provides two sets of XLR inputs, while the digital connections include AES/EBU, ADAT Optical, SPDIF Optical and Coaxial, and USB connection. BNC jacks are offered to clock the device to other units, or to allow you to use the Convert-AD+ as a master clock.
Switchable Dual Inputs
Proprietary Clip Guard Technology
Jitter Elimination Technology
Other Key Features at a Glance
- Selectable Calibration Level cycles through three calibration levels for compatibility with other devices
- Custom-crafted digital meter with Normal and Peak Hold modes provides precise visual feedback
- Word Clock with three Modes: Internal, External, and Master
- USB connection for Mac/Windows
- Comprehensive I/O with two switchable stereo input paths, dual AES outputs, an optical ADAT output, an optical S/PDIF output, and a coaxial S/PDIF output