Conceived, designed, and constructed for outstanding performance at long range and in low light when many animals are most active, the Vortex Optics 18x56 Kaibab HD Binoculars combine multiple technologies and features to ensure clear and crisp views from the predawn to late dusk hours and to maintain bright views despite their high power.
Their performance starts with the over-sized 56mm objectives that draw in the copious amounts of light required for seeing in low light. The powerful 18x magnification enables users to reach out to great distances and make detailed observations—especially useful when big-game hunting across the open prairies out West where game remains at long range. Optically, they benefit from high-density (HD) extra-low dispersion (ED) glass set in an apochromatic configuration that virtually eliminates edge distortion and color fringing. Next, anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics further maximize light transmission through the light path and improve contrast and color rendition across the entire visual spectrum, ensuring colors remain true. The compact roof prisms are finished with highly reflective dielectric and phase-correcting coatings that limit internal interference, light loss, and diffraction. These features work together to produce bright and clear high-contrast views with accurate color fidelity and improved clarity and resolution. To further improve the observational experience, the Kaibab is designed with a wide 67° apparent angle of view to minimize distracting hand shake and present a spacious field of view.
Complementing the optical performance are construction details that allow these binoculars to withstand the rigors of the outdoors. The chassis is made of a lightweight and impact-resistant polymer material wrapped in a slip-resistant rubber armor that offers improved grip security, especially in cold and wet weather. The binoculars' optical tubes are O-ring sealed and argon filled to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature changes and environmental conditions. Because of the high power and large objectives, Vortex includes their quick release Uni-Daptor tripod adapter to make it easy to put the binoculars on a support system and eliminate vibrations and arm fatigue.
From dawn to dusk to picking apart the distant landscape for game, the Kaibab binoculars have been engineered to provide outstanding performance in the most challenging light and environmental conditions possible.
- Powerful 18x magnification brings distant subjects such as large game up close for detailed observations
- Large 56mm objective lenses are optimized for low-light use to ensure bright views when looking at distant subjects
- Roof prism optical path ensures peak performance while maintaining a compact form factor
- Dielectric prism coatings boost surface reflectivity to greater than 99% for maximum light transmission through the prism, with minimal loss and diffraction
- High-density (HD), extra-low dispersion (ED) apochromatic lenses correct spherical and chromatic aberrations to transmit accurate colors without edge distortion
- Proprietary XR Plus anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics maximize light transmission for accurate color fidelity and improved contrast and clarity
- Wide 67° apparent angle of view helps to minimize the distracting hand shake that is common when holding heavy and/or high-power optics
- 194' field of view at 1000 yards
Use and Handling
- Closed bridge configuration provides a solid platform for the internal focusing system
- Large slip-resistant center focusing wheel is easy to manipulate in cold and wet weather, even while wearing gloves
- Locking right-eye dioptric correction allows user to compensate for optical prescription to produce sharper views
- 60-76mm interpupillary distance adjustment range
- Twist-up click-stop eyecups for easy use with or without eyewear
- Tripod mountable with included adapter for hands-free use to eliminate vibrations and arm fatigue
- 16.4mm eye relief makes viewing more comfortable, with reduced eyestrain
- 3.1mm exit pupil
- ArmorTek coatings protect external lens surfaces, enabling water to bead off and preventing dirt and oils from sticking and leaving behind residues, to provide clearer views in all weather conditions
- Lightweight and highly impact-resistant polymer chassis
- Chassis material is resistant to the expansion and contraction often experienced with metal chassis, which can cause components to move out of alignment over time and prevent the ability to achieve sharp focus
- Protective rubber armor with raised ridged palm pads provides a slip-resistant grip
- O-ring sealed and argon filled to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme changes in temperature and environmental conditions
- Tethered objective lens caps and one-piece ocular rainguard protect the lens surface without the fear of losing them when not in use