Building upon the success of the Midas 502 Preamp, the Midas 501 High-Performance Microphone Preamplifier is a 500-series module offering professional microphone and line pre-amplification in a compact format for live sound and professional recording environments. The 501 has been upgraded via implementation of low-noise octal discrete input transistors, which provide sonic flexibility, broad dynamic control, and remarkably transparent sonic performance.
The Midas 501's overload tolerant input can handle up to +24 dB of input gain with no pad requirement, while featuring soft-clipping characteristics that provide crystal-clear audiophile reproduction with the right amount of harmonics. The 501 features dual balanced outputs with the default electronically-balanced output 1 providing an extremely clean signal, even when operating at high signal levels, while the transformer-balanced output 2 provides galvanic isolation and generates a more vintage sound, becoming saturated at lower frequencies to add color when driven hard. Both outputs are available simultaneously, offering flexibility in signal routing.
Other notable features include the precision LED I/O metering, which utilizes twin 31-segment rotary LED meters, fully variable high- and low-pass filters with toggle switches to completely remove or add them to the signal chain, and the Warm function, which reconfigures the input stage with a high-quality transformer for lower input impedance and authentic vintage sound. The Midas 501 also includes toggle switches for mute, phantom power (+48V), and phase reversal.
- Ultra-high performance microphone/line/DI preamplifier offers you outstanding signal integrity
- Upgraded version of the award-winning MIDAS mic amp design
- Low noise octal discrete input transistors provide exceptional sonic flexibility and dynamic control
- Input allows up to +24 dBu signal levels with no pad and gives you our signature soft-clip coloration on overload
- Remarkable Warm feature reconfigures the input stage with a premium input transformer for lower input impedance and authentic vintage sound
- Separate high-performance DI input through secondary rack connector and easy-access front panel switch let you effortlessly change between mic and instrument
- Twin circular 31-segment meters with precision full-wave rectifiers for unprecedented visibility into your input and output levels for professional signal monitoring
- A distinct fusion of vintage and modern design with anodized fascia, metal controls, and 4 genuine gold-plated rings
- Separate discrete transformer and electronically balanced outputs provide a splitter function and give you a choice of sonic character
- High-accuracy Mil-Spec rotary switch gain and output gain trim controls give you a combined mic input gain range of -20 to +80 dB
- Fully variable high- and low-pass wide spectrum filters with independent selection switches let you perfectly sculpt the frequency spectrum to your exact preference
- Front-panel toggle switches for easy-to-use control over input select, filters, +48 V, polarity, output mute, and Warm mode
- Protective auto-mute feature guards against accidental unwanted noise from input switching in live and studio applications
- Premium quality components throughout, including high-end op-amps, micro melf resistors, and discrete FET's, designed to provide you with the highest form of signal integrity