The Alpine Astronomical Baader 76° Morpheus 4.5mm Eyepiece is designed to deliver the performance that avid amateur astronomers and astrophotographers require for near and deep sky use. Outfitted with a wide 76° field of view, it presents an immersive observational experience while ensuring slow-moving deep sky objects remain in the eyepiece view for a long time when observing through non-motorized telescopes like conventional Dobsonians.
A combination of flat-field lens design, lens coatings, and internal baffling and blackening ensure bright and clear views with limited distortion across the entire field of view, especially at the edges. To further improve the viewing experience, the standard round fold-down eyecup can be removed and replaced with the provided winged eyecup to eliminate peripheral light and improve contrast and resolution.
Integrated 1.25" and 2" barrels make this eyepiece compatible with the two most common holders, drawtubes, and accessories, without having to switch sleeves when moving from one optical tube assembly (OTA) or set of accessories to another. For ease of use, all the Morpheus eyepieces are parfocal with each other so there is little to no need to refocus when changing eyepieces within the series. To help you find the right eyepiece without needing a flashlight, the focal length is engraved on the housing and colored with photoluminescent paint that glows a faint green. Additionally, a stainless steel clip is included that attaches to the eyepiece holster and lets you bend up one or more small tabs to quickly identify an eyepiece by touch. All these features eliminate the need for a flashlight, which can affect night-adjusted vision and prevent you from seeing dim objects.
Useful for more than just visual observation, the eyepiece has 43mm T-mount threads under the eyecup that accept camera-specific T-rings for direct connection of CCD imaging systems. A 43mm extension ring is provided that can be attached to the integrated threads for the T-ring and provide more back focus if the camera requires it.
- 4.5mm focal length produces a high magnification for detailed viewing
- 8-element/5-group lens design produces a flat and even field of view with limited edge distortion
- Wide 76° field of view is greater than the human eye to provide an immersive and full view without compromising contrast and brightness, while allowing deep sky objects to remain in the eyepiece view longer when using non-motorized telescopes like Dobsonians
- Long 17.5mm eye relief makes viewing easy and comfortable with reduced eye fatigue, especially during long viewing sessions
- Phantom Coating Group multi-coatings are index matched to the specific optical properties of the glass used in the lenses to optimize light transmission, color rendition, and contrast with minimal distortion
- Internal baffling and blackened edges help to limit internal reflection and absorb diffracted light to further improve contrast and resolution
- Parfocal with all Morpheus eyepieces, requiring little to no refocusing when changing eyepieces within the series
Use and Handling
- Photoluminescent paint in engraved focal length on housing glows faintly green in the dark to allow easy identification without the need for a flashlight, which can disrupt night-adjusted vision
- Integrated 1.25" and 2" barrels allow eyepiece to fit the two most popular size drawtubes, holders, and accessories without switching sleeves
- Metal 43mm T-mount threads under eyecup allow direct connection of cameras and CCD imagers using optional T-rings
- Textured slip-resistant collar provides secure handling in cold weather or while wearing gloves
- Fold-down round conventional eyecup for easy use with or without eyewear; winged eyecup can be installed to eliminate peripheral light to improve contrast and resolution while blocking distractions for better concentration
- Slim body design makes the eyepiece ideal for bino-viewers as it allows a narrow interpupillary setting for children, young adults, and those with smaller faces
- 43mm tube optimizes the position of the eyecup for personal preference during viewing
- Use for adapting a camera with M43 thread for astrophotography and add more back focus versus the integrated 43mm threads under the eyecup
- Used as the primary clamping surface for smartphone digiscoping adapters
- Stainless steel for durability and longevity
- Bend one or more of the small tabs up to indicate the eyepiece focal length
- Clips to the eyepiece holster and lets you identify the eyepieces by touch, eliminating the need for flashlights that can disrupt night-adjusted vision
- High-visibility yellow is easy to see in the dark
- Touch-fastener top flap retains eyepiece while moving around and setting up
- Belt loop keeps the eyepiece close at hand