A well-rounded bundle to get you started shooting, the Panasonic Lumix GH5S Mirrorless Camera with 12-60mm Lens and Accessories Kit from B&H pairs the multimedia mirrorless body and Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. lens with an external microphone and a spare battery.
Panasonic Lumix GH5S Mirrorless Camera
Proving that they can push the GH-series even farther into the video realm, the Panasonic Lumix GH5S is a mirrorless Micro Four Thirds camera optimized for movie recording and low-light performance. Revolving around a 10.28MP Digital Live MOS sensor, DCI and UHD 4K video recording is possible at up to 60p and the large individual pixel size also affords impressive low-light performance to an extended ISO 204800, along with Dual Native ISO technology at ISO 400 and ISO 2500. Coupled with an updated Venus Engine, the sensor and processor combination also enables faster readout speeds along with 1.3x less rolling shutter distortion compared to previous GH-series cameras. Internal DCI 4K30p recording is available with 4:2:2 10-bit sampling and a full-size HDMI A connector can be used to simultaneously output to an optional external monitor or recorder. The sensor's extended sensitivity range has also been used to promote working with V-Log L and Hybrid Log Gamma HDR modes for effectively increasing your dynamic range and affording more flexibility when color grading during post-production.
Beyond its video prowess, the GH5S is no slouch when it comes to stills shooting, either. The sensor and Venus Engine combination enable recording 14-bit raw files with a top continuous shooting rate of 12 fps with single-shot AF, or up to 8 fps with continuous autofocus. Borrowing from the video side, 4K PHOTO modes are also available for shooting 8MP stills at up to 60 fps. Benefitting stills, the Depth-From-Defocus AF system works quickly and accurately using 225 dedicated AF areas, and is sensitive to -5 EV luminance for working in extreme low-light conditions.
Beyond imaging specs, the GH5S retains its professional build quality the GH-series is known for. The magnesium alloy body is fully weather-sealed for working in inclement conditions, and physical controls have been enhanced for easier tactile control. A large 3.68m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder is featured, for high-resolution eye-level monitoring, as well as a rear 3.2" 1.62m-dot LCD touchscreen with free-angle movement to suit working from high and low angles. Dual UHS-II SD memory card slots are available for flexible file recording and built-in Wi-Fi with NFC and Bluetooth wireless connectivity enable seamless image sharing and remote camera control from a mobile device.
10.28MP Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
The sensor features a multi aspect ratio design, which enables the use of 4:3, 17:9, 16:9, and 3:2 ratios for shooting stills, recording DCI and UHD 4K, and for working in Anamorphic mode. This unique design allows you to maintain a lens's native angle of view despite changing the image format. Additionally, the sensor and processor combination avails high readout speeds and suppresses rolling shutter distortion by approximately 1.3x compared to the GH5 when recording video or working with the electronic shutter.
The sensor's deliberately low-resolution design, and subsequently larger pixel size, also optimizes it for low-light performance and enables recording a greater dynamic range. Borrowing from Panasonic's broadcast line of video cameras, Dual Native ISO technology is used that sets ISO 400 and ISO 2500 as base sensitivities for low noise levels. The overall native sensitivity range runs from ISO 160-51200, and can be extended to ISO 80-204800.
DCI and UHD 4K Video Recording
Optimizing your recording for post-production color adjustment, the GH5S features a pair of gamma settings suited to capturing a wide dynamic range. V-Log L has been pre-installed on this camera and is used to capture a flat, neutral gamma curve well-suited for grading. Additionally, a High Dynamic Range mode, and Hybrid Log Gamma, can be used to record greater detail in both the shadow and highlight regions of a scene. Additional picture styles are available to provide a more gradable image, such as CINELIKE V and CINELIKE D, as well as an in-camera LUT to make monitoring easier. Also, users will have access to overcranking and undercranking Variable Frame Rate settings which provide speeds up to 2.5x slower in 4K (60 fps) and 7.5x slower in Full HD (240 fps). Also, a 4K Anamorphic mode is available, which will let you record in a proper 4:3 ratio for adjustment in post-production.
For greater recording versatility, the recording system frequency can be changed between 59.94 Hz (NTSC), 50.00 Hz (PAL), or 24.00 Hz (Cine) for worldwide use, and there is no recording duration limit for all settings. Three separate video control panels can also be used—shutter duration/ISO, shutter angle/ISO, or shutter duration/dB—to match various worldwide production needs.
The GH5S is designed to be an expandable system, with multiple options available to help improve video recording capabilities. Examples of this are the included BNC conversion cable for syncing time code settings with an external device for multi-camera setups; LINE input support via the 3.5mm mic input for using an external audio device; and the optional XLR Microphone Adapter that provides XLR inputs and physical controls through a hot shoe connection. Users can also use standard microphones and headphones via the 3.5mm input and output jacks.
Stills Recording and Depth-From-Defocus AF System
For accelerated autofocus performance, and Advanced DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology is employed to quickly calculate the distance to subjects and adjust the focusing position in as little as 0.05 seconds. This contrast-detection type focus method benefits both still and video recording modes, as well as subject tracking applications where subject color, size, and motion vectors are used to intelligently lock-onto the moving subjects and ensure precise focus. The sensitivity and speed can be adjusted to further improve performance with certain subjects. It also features 225 AF areas which provide excellent control over where the camera will focus. Additionally, supporting working in low-light conditions, a Starlight AF feature enables accurate AF performance down to -5 EV.
Benefitting manual focus operation, focus peaking is available that highlights bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for quickly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist for touch-to-focus operation.
4K PHOTO Modes
- Burst: This mode will allow you to continuously record, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- A large OLED Live View Finder has an impressive 3.68m-dot resolution and 0.76x magnification for eye-level composition.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.2" 1.62m-dot rear RGBW LCD monitor has a free angle, tilt and swivel design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- Optimized for nighttime shooting, the viewfinder and rear screen can be tuned to benefit working in low-light conditions. A Night Mode allows you to separately reduce the brightness of the screen and finder in order to maintain your night-adjusted vision. Alternatively, brightness can be boosted by lowering the frame rate and increasing the gain in live view for working in extremely dark situation. And, for manual focusing, an MF Assist feature lets you zoom into the scene by 20x for focusing on small subjects.
- Dual UHS-II SD card slots are present which provides settings such as Relay Recording to automatically switch cards when one is full; Backup Recording, which recording the same data to both cards simultaneously; and Allocation Recording, which lets you save certain files to each card for easier organization.
- Constructed from magnesium alloy with die-cast front and rear frames, the GH5S features a durable design that also incorporates extensive sealing at each joint, dial, and button to render it both splash- and dust-proof as well as freezeproof to 14°F.
- A joystick is available on the rear of the camera to make changing many settings easier and more intuitive, such as changing a focus point.
- The sleek flat-body profile incorporates both front and rear dials for intuitive control over aperture and shutter speed settings. Multiple assignable function buttons are also available, as well as a dedicated exposure compensation dial.
- Built-in 5 GHz Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC and Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets. Bluetooth LE also enables a constant connection to your mobile device, allowing for functions such as geolocation and automatic image transfer.
Other Camera Features
- Lumix Tether software allows you to shoot tethered to a computer via USB connection. This software enables full camera control and shooting from the computer, along with video and 4K PHOTO modes support, with the added benefit of previewing and reviewing your imagery from a larger computer monitor.
- A mechanical focal plane shutter enables a fast maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 sec., as well as a top flash sync speed of 1/250 sec. An electronic shutter function also avails a top shutter speed of 1/16,000 sec. to better enable working in bright conditions and with wider aperture settings.
- Raw image files can be processed in-camera for a more streamlined post-production workflow.
- Depending on the lens in use, the included DMW-BLF19 battery provides approximately 440 shots per charge when using the rear monitor, or 410 with the electronic viewfinder.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, and Cinelike V.
- Creative Control modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens
Spanning a useful wide-angle to short telephoto range, the Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens from Panasonic is a 24-120mm equivalent zoom designed for Micro Four Thirds cameras. Designed in collaboration with Leica, this versatile lens utilizes four aspherical elements and two extra-low dispersion elements to deliver well-corrected, sharp image quality that is void of color fringing and distortions. The lens also makes use of a linear motor for fast, quiet, and precise autofocus performance, and the POWER Optical Image Stabilizer system helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Additionally, the durable metal body of the lens renders it splash, dust, and freezeproof to suit its use in trying environmental conditions.
Ruggard Hunter 35 DSLR Holster Bag
The Hunter 35 DSLR Holster Bag from Ruggard is slightly larger than the Hunter 25 and holds a DSLR (up to semi-pro size) with lens attached, face down, in shooting position. When you're ready to shoot, simply remove your camera, get the shot and replace your camera in the bag. The zippered top of the bag opens away from your body for fast access to your gear. This also serves as a security feature since no one but you will be able to see inside the bag.
The bag has a water-repellent exterior and smooth polyester lining that helps prevent scratches to the finish of your camera/lens combo. Inside, there are two removable touch fastened strips that can be configured to support your gear.
For storage, there is a front zippered organizer panel, mesh side pocket and two side loops that accept optional pouches. On the inside of the quick-release flap, there are two touch fastened memory card pockets. The bag is carried by its removable shoulder strap, top carry handle or belt loop that will leave you hands free. The zippers have yellow pull tabs that make the bag easy to use while you're wearing gloves.
Carry-on Form Factor
SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Card
Designed for SD devices that can capture Full HD, 3D, and 4K video, as well as raw and burst photography, the 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Card from SanDisk has a capacity of 64GB, is compatible with the UHS-I bus, and features a speed class rating of V30, which guarantees minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s. If your device does not support the V30 standard, this card also supports the U3 standard, which likewise guarantees minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s. Read speeds are supported up to 170 MB/s and write speeds max out at 90 MB/s. A built-in write-protect switch helps to safeguard against the accidental erasure of card data.
While this card has been designed for cameras that are UHS-I / V30 / U3 compatible, it may be used in devices that do not support UHS-I / V30 / U3. However, bear in mind that this card will then default to your device's speed class and bus rating, such as UHS-I and U1, which supports minimum write speeds of 10 MB/s, or Class 10, which also supports minimum write speeds of 10 MB/s.
As with most SanDisk cards, this memory card is shockproof, X-ray proof, waterproof, while also being able to withstand temperatures from -13 to 185°F, allowing you to take this card with you into extreme environments, such as snow, deserts, and pools. Should the card's data become compromised, you also benefit from the option to download RescuePRO Deluxe software as well as a limited lifetime warranty.