Designed for the studio or live performance, the Sequential Prophet XL is a bi-timbral, 8-voice-stereo (16-voice mono, 32-voice paraphonic) synth with an innovative sound engine that powers two simultaneous 16-bit, 48 kHz sample-based instruments plus two high-resolution digital oscillators, which are all processed through analog filters. This versatile instrument combines samples + synthesis into a potent fusion well suited for traditional instruments such as piano, electric piano, organ, drums, strings, and guitar, as well as complex pads, effects, and evolving textures. While both the Prophet X and XL versions feature identical sound engines, the X offers a 61-key semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, while the XL expands that to 76 keys.
The Prophet XL utilizes 150 GB of internal samples from highly-respected sound developers 8Dio, who pioneered the "deep sampling" technique to create remarkably realistic sounds. An additional 50 GB of internal storage is dedicated to importing external sample libraries, while support for user-created samples is slated for the end of 2018.
At the heart of the Prophet XL’s powerful sound are its newly-developed 24 dB-per-octave resonant low-pass filters, which are based on a vintage design. The separate left and right filters are designed for a true stereo signal path and designed to add depth and impact to both the samples and the digital oscillators. Additional features include four syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, four loopable five-stage envelope generators, and a 16-slot mod matrix with 28 sources and 88 destinations. The onboard polyphonic step sequencer provides 64-steps with up to 6-notes per step. It is possible to create a different sequence for each layer when working in stacked or split voice mode. Both the sequencer and arpeggiator feature external MIDI clock synchronization.
Dual effects engines provide multiple reverbs, two delays (standard and BBD), chorus, phase shifter, flanger, vintage speaker rotator, high-pass filter, and distortion. In stacked or split mode, you can apply two different effects to each layer and effects parameters can be modulated via the mod matrix. The Sequential Prophet XL includes a standard IEC power cord.
- Provides two independent, stereo, digitally sampled instruments per voice (4 in stack or split mode)
- 150 GB of internal sample content created by 8Dio (known for pioneering deep sampling)
- Diverse collection of acoustic and electronic instruments
- Plenty of edgy ambient and cinematic effects
- Shape the samples through loop manipulation, sample stretching, and the Prophet X’s sound-sculpting modulation functions
- Each sample instrument has its own tone control for high-pass or low-pass filtering
- Fifty gigabytes of additional internal storage are dedicated to importing external sample libraries
- Support for user-created samples is planned for late 2018
- Add-on sample packs are available from 8Dio
- Classic Prophet Power: Two high-resolution digital oscillators that feature both classic waveshapes and a supersaw for more timbral possibilities
- Shape Mod Control: Manually dial in a desired waveshape width for any of the classic sine, sawtooth, or pulse waves
- Use an LFO or other mod source for continuously shifting timbre
- Shape the raw sounds with all the classic synthesis functions including 4 syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, 4 loopable five-stage envelope generators, and a 16-slot mod matrix with dozens of modulation sources and destinations
- Two 24 dB-per-octave resonant low-pass filters, which are based on a vintage design
- Separate filters in the left and right channels for a true stereo signal path
- Adds exceptional presence and fullness to both the samples and oscillators.
- Additional Polyphony: Switch the Prophet XL from 8-voice stereo mode to 16-voice mono mode (useful for stacks and splits)
Poly Step Sequencer
- Provides up to 64-steps and up to 6 notes per step
- Create a different sequence for each layer if working in stacked or split voice mode (great for composition or performance)
- Sequences include ties, rests, and can sync to an external MIDI clock
- Arpeggiator: Features note repeats, re-latching, and can be synced to external MIDI clock
Two Effects per Layer
- Dual Effects Engine: Provides multiple reverbs, 2 delays (standard and BBD), chorus, phase shifter, flanger, vintage rotating speaker, high-pass filter, and distortion
- Stacked or Split Voice Mode: Apply two different effects to each layer
- Effects parameters can be modulated through the mod matrix
- Full-sized, semi-weighted, 76-key, Fatar TP/8 keyboard with velocity and monophonic aftertouch
- Integrated power supply
- MIDI USB support
- Three crisp OLED displays