Pet Photography: The Secrets to Creating Authentic Pet Portraits from Rocky Nook is a valuable resource for those who have an interest in developing and perfecting their pet photography skills. Whether you're diving into pet photography for personal reasons, to help animals in need, or to spark a new career, photographer and author Norah Levine is here to show you the way.
As anyone who has tried it knows, photographing pets can be a fun-filled and rewarding experience, but it has its many challenges as well. And like any kind of portraiture, there are both technical knowledge and aesthetic skills to acquire. Understanding your equipment and subject can help you to develop the ability to produce strong and creative compositions with maximum impact. Successful pet photographers learn to have patience and work with a wide variety of animals to generate compelling images.
This beautifully photographed book is filled with touching images of adorable pets. Norah explains the challenges, successes, tips, tricks, and checklists she has learned over her long and successful career as a pet photographer. Featuring tons of ideas for what to consider when creating meaningful pet portraits, this book provides you with the skills you need to start photographing pets with professionalism and confidence. Norah graciously shares her process for working with animals and demystifies the experience, so you can acquire the emotional and technical tools necessary to create your own beautiful pet photography.
- Gear, including cameras, lenses, lights, modifiers, software, and squeaky toys
- Exposure, composition, and color as they relate to pet photography
- Shooting with both natural and artificial light
- Shooting outdoors and in a pet owner's home
- Direct and pose animals and their owners to elicit engaged and authentic responses
- Photographing various animals
Table of Contents
- Discovering the Opportunities, Challenges, and Rewards
- Bringing Your Gear and Your Bag of Tricks
- Exposure for Pets: Getting It Right in Camera
- Composition, Color, and Creativity
- The Light
- The Shoot
- Photographing Dogs
- Photographing Cats
- Photographing Horses
- Photographing for Non-Profits & Giving Back