Available for download, the EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos Bechstein 280 Platinum is a virtual piano that samples an 88-key, 9' German concert grand. The timbre of the instrument is precise and technical, quite suited to demanding classical works and pop music alike. In fact, the rock and pop patches offered here have been recorded under the tutelage of legendary engineer/producer Ken Scott.
This 74GB library has been painstakingly captured with multiple mic positions and with sampling techniques that secure an authentic sound. For instance, piano repetition samples have been recorded in real-time from 180 BPM performances, so when you go for a repetition, you'll hear a recording of the real thing—not a retriggered, alternate sample. Sympathetic pedal resonances have also been recorded for every note at many different velocities.
Samples are triggered and played through the accompanying PLAY software, a 64-bit audio engine that powers the EastWest Quantum library. This software is compatible with Mac and Windows platforms, and operates in AU, AAX, and VST formats.
Key Features at a Glance
- Load any mic position individually
- 3 mic positions included for flexibility
- 10 to 18 velocities per note of sustain and sustain with pedal
- 8 to 12 velocities per note of repetitions and repetitions with pedal
- 5 to 8 velocities of soft pedal and soft pedal with sustain pedal
- 16 velocity staccato on every piano
- Repetition samples taken from 180 BPM performances for a true repetition sound and not simply an alternate take
- Software detects true repetitions
- Pedal resonance recorded for every note at multiple velocities as well as with the soft pedal down
- Release samples with software envelope follower
- Articulations on each piano include
- Sustain with pedal
- Repetitions with pedal
- Soft pedal
- Soft pedal with sustain pedal
- Release trails
- Recorded in a proper piano environment with vintage Neumann microphones, Meitner AD converters, and a vintage 8078 Neve console
- Stereo swap possible in software
- Mic position mixing in software
- Lid position simulation
- Articulation matrix for quick and straightforward loading
- PLAY interface includes impulses from the same hall the producers used to record Symphonic Orchestra and Symphonic Choirs, so the pianos can blend with those collections.
- bech clsc pop: Ken Scott engineered this classic pop/rock, close miked patch. The unusual panning characteristics are part of the sound.
- bech master: The master patch includes sustain, sustain with pedal, repetitions, repetitions with pedal, soft pedal sustain, soft pedal sustain with pedal, staccato on the mod wheel, and release trails.
- bech sus rep: This patch includes sustain, sustain with pedal, repetitions, repetitions with pedal, and release trails.
- bech sus: This patch includes sustain, sustain with pedal, and release trails.
- bech clsc pop lite: Ken Scott engineered this classic pop/rock, close-miked patch, though this uses less memory that the full patch.
- bech master lite: This is the reduced memory version of the Master patch, including sustain, sustain with pedal, repetitions, repetitions with pedal, soft pedal sustain, soft pedal sustain with pedal, staccato on the Mod Wheel, and release trails.
- bech sus lite: A patch that includes sustain, sustain with pedal, and release trails in a light-memory version.
- bech sus rep lite: A reduced-memory version that includes sustain, sustain with pedal, repetitions, repetitions with pedal, and release trails.