Available for download, the Arturia CZ V is a phase distortion cult classic that models two classic Casio keyboards, the CZ-101 and the CZ-1000, both classic synths used in many hits from the 1980s. The DSP team at Arturia has reverse-engineered the code used inside the seminal keyboards and modeled circuitry like the DAC outputs, doing so in order to give you an authentic Casio sound.
For both synths, the GUI presents you with a relatively simple interface. You won't need to figure out how to use data-entry buttons or small LCD screens. Instead, a streamlined front panel makes manipulating the phase distortion synthesis an intuitive affair. When you need to dive deeper, a graphic interface is on hand to show you all the parameters of the DCOs (digitally controlled oscillators), DCWs (digitally controlled waveshapers), and DCAs (digitally controlled amplifiers) emulated within.
Other panels such as the Advanced Envelope Control and an Advanced Modulation Matrix allow for tone-shaping in the extreme. You can even go beyond the original timbre of the Casios with the custom phase-distortion editor, which lets you draw and save your own custom waveforms. You'll also appreciate two additional LFOs, a combinator section, macro controllers, and a syncable arpeggiator.
With an 8-voice unison mode, 32-voice polyphony, an in-depth vibrato section, and more, this software synth will provide interesting sounds in both studio and live environments. The CZ V is compatible with Mac and Windows platforms, and can operate in AU, VST, and AAX formats.
Key Features at a Glance
- Two synthesis lines and independent noise source
- All CZ-101/CZ-1000 original parameters
- 8 original waveform and custom waveform editor
- Original CZ SysEx import
- CZ, DADSR and multi-segment envelopes (syncable and loopable) to control pitch, DCW, and amplitude
- 2 modulation envelopes
- 4 assignable macros
- Advanced modulation matrix
- A sample-and-hold module
- LFOs with 6 waveforms
- 3 sources combinators
- 4 FXs slots that can be routed in series or per synthesis line
- A synthesis line state viewer for real-time feedback
- Emulation of the original CZ DAC
- 32 voices of polyphony
- Up to 8 voices of unison with unison detune
- Over 400 factory presets