Available for download, the Arturia Mellotron V puts the sound of various Mellotrons at your MIDI-based fingertips. This is a virtual instrument comprised of 65 classic Mellotron sounds, all faithfully modeled down to the transport and tape heads. In fact, you can even control the amount of flutter, saturation, and mechanical noise you want to hear as you play all sorts of psychedelic tones.
You also get a whole bunch of effects for processing, including reverb, delay, modulation, EQ, amp simulations, and various room emulations. This lets you process the sound of your mellotron even further.
The interface works as follows: load any Mellotron instrument into one of three tape tracks. You can mix between them, or even use your mod wheel to crossfade among all three. You're not limited to Mellotron instruments—you can use the software as a sampler, loading your own samples into the three tape tracks and mixing them however you see fit, processing them with the onboard effects. Before the sample is even triggered, you can tweak it by means of the integrated sample editor.
The Mellotron V is intended for studio and live use. Play pads, strings, keys, and other noises immediately identifiable for the sonic vibe. The software is compatible with Mac and Windows platforms, and can operate in AU, VST, and AAX formats.
Key Features at a Glance
- 65 tape racks from MKI, MKII, M300, and M400 Mellotrons
- User sample import allows you to benefit from the Mellotron sound on any sample
- 3 tracks to select or blend samples
- Modeling parameters and modulations, including:
- Tape saturation
- Mechanics noise
- Noise floor
- Velocity on volume
- Aftertouch on flutter
- Amplitude envelope and loop controls for each sample
- Time-stretching on user samples
- Dedicated effects pedalboard, including:
- 4 slots with a selection of 10 different effects
- 1 amplifier simulator (Fender Twin or Leslie)
- 1 room ambiance
- 61 presets