Building upon the success of version 3, Bitwig Studio 4 offers a significant update to the production and performance DAW designed for the electronic and recording musician. With over 80 instruments and plugins and over 10GB of world-class content, Bitwig Studio 4 has arrived as a professional, digital audio workstation for Windows, Mac, and Linux, providing superfast workflows that are fully customizable and well suited for sound design, recording, and live performance.
Upgrades to the software include: Audio Comping, Operators, Antiloops, Expression Automation, and native support for Apple's latest M1 processor. Audio Comping allows you to take the best parts of many takes to create the perfect recording. Operators allow sequenced notes and audio events to be manipulated by chance, resulting in different possibilities and timelines. The Anti-Loops library builds upon this idea and features over 100 clips to inspire your latest creative endeavor. Expression Automation adds randomness to your notes or audio clips, resulting in a different performance with each cycle of the clip.
Bitwig features the Grid, a modular sound design environment sporting 175 modules with lightning-fast workflows; the Poly Grid device, where you can create synthesizers and sequenced patches; and the FX Grid device, for creating audio FX with optional voice stacking. Other notable features include automatic project backups, a realtime ruler, Ableton LINK 3, a redesigned instrument inspector, VU meters, and a reworking of the audio engine for timing improvements on all platforms.
Bitwig's recording environment utilizes an object-based system for editing tracks, clips, virtual instruments, effects, and individual notes. Built-in parameter spectrographs provide visual feedback of how your settings influence parameters such as gain, velocity, panorama, and much more. In addition to the traditional linear multitrack recording view, the software offers an arranger clip launcher, for experimenting with non-linear looping while producing, and a mixer clip launcher view, for live performance.
The program supports audio tracks with time-stretching and transient detection, instrument tracks with per-note micropitch control, and hybrid tracks that can accept both audio and MIDI instrument information. This enables bouncing note clips to audio in place and slicing audio to send to a sampler or drum machine. Multiple tracks can be edited simultaneously using layered editing, and automation can be applied at both the clip and track level. A suite of virtual instruments is included as well as full support for 32- / 64-bit VST and VST3 plug-ins. Each plug-in is opened as a separate process to prevent Bitwig Studio from crashing in case the VST plug-in crashes. A Unified Device System allows any device parameter, nested device, or plug-in to be modulated with macro controls, LFOs, note expressions, and envelope followers as well as hardware parameters.
Operators features four modes:
- Chance makes each event more or less likely.
- Repeats allow each event to retrigger at a set rate, or just divide the note length into any number of pieces. Yes, you can ramp the timing of these—and the velocities for note repeats. A Slice at Repeats option is available to print out the individual events.
- Occurrence sets conditions for each event, like: Is this the first loop of the clip or not? Is the performance-control Fill button turned on? Or did the previous event play, or was it silent?
- Recurrence thinks of each event as its own looping timeline. So pick a cycle length—say, every four loops of the clip—and then check-off whether the event plays on each of those four passes.
- Bitwig Studio 4 sees the arrival of comping for audio clips and Operators for all sequenced events. The Anti-Loop sound package uses these features to push the idea of what a loop is to the breaking point, with 100+ clips crafted by expert sound designers like Cristian Vogel, Pat Cupo, Polarity, and others.
- These sounds can be added to any track, and as a first element, they can send you down a new road. When something arhythmic becomes rhythmic, or when a looping element feels a little variable and almost broken—that’s something worth building a track on. Because after all, maybe the best loops don't.
- Bitwig's engine uniquely allows expression automation for notes and audio. And since randomness was in the air, Bitwig brought a visualized Spread range to any expression point. You can give note velocities randomization, but you could also give each piece of a chord its own panning, create a note that starts in tune, and then drifts to a random pitch, or give each slice of an audio clip a slightly randomized gain.
Support for Apple M1 Processor
- Apple is making their own M1 processors, so now Bitwig Studio runs natively on Apple Silicon.
- Some more good news is that your Intel and ARM VSTs can live alongside each other. Bitwig has always handled plug-ins differently, hosting them separately from the DAW—because if a plug-in has to crash, it is better that Bitwig keeps playing—and now this means mixing VST architectures as well, and just as safely.
- Each platform is different, and we support three of them—greetings, Linux penguins!—so whether it is Apple Silicon, a full multitouch interface for Windows and Linux, or native CV and MPE support for everyone, Bitwig is the DAW that connects all these technologies as soon as you have them.
- The Grid: a modular sound-design environment, sporting 150+ modules and lightning-fast workflows
- Poly Grid Device: for creating synthesizers, sequenced patches, and more
- FX Grid Device: for creating audio FX with optional voice stacking
- Automatic Project Backups, each time you re-save a project
- Realtime Ruler, showing timelines in minutes and seconds
- Ableton LINK version 3, supporting start/stop synchronization
- Global GUI Contrast settings, making the interface pop on any monitor
- Redesigned Instrument Inspector, offering polyphony, two mono voice modes, and more
- VU Meters in Routing Choosers, showing the signal you are looking for
- Reworked audio backends, sporting timing improvements on all platforms
- 32-bit floating point audio processing
- Audio sample rate up to 192 kHz
- Retina/High-DPi display support
- Audio import: WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC
- Bounce and Bounce in Place
- Unlimited Audio, Instrument, and Effect Tracks
- Fully customizable keyboard shortcuts & action mappings
- Fast and flexible MIDI mapping tool
- Audio and MIDI export
- Choke groups
- Scalable vector based GUI
- Hybrid Tracks
- Project Templates
- Clip and Track automation
- Tracks, Chains, and Devices can be deactivated to save CPU power
- Plug-in Delay Compensation
- Jack and ALSA Support
- Micro Pitch in Note Editor
- 7 Display Profiles for up to 3 monitors
- Dynamic menu system
- Smart tool switching
- Built-in help section
- Dashboard with easy access to projects, settings, and other resources
- I/O (20): Terminal modules for signals entering or exiting this Grid device, such as Velocity In, Audio Out, and CV Pitch Out
- Display (7): Visualization and note-taking modules, such as Oscilloscope and Spectrum
- Phase (17): Modules that output wrapped phase signals, such as Phasor, Ø Scaler, and Ø Formant
- Data (11): Lookup modules that are read with incoming phase signals, such as Pitches, Probabilities, and Ø Window
- Oscillator (9): Periodic signal generators based on waveforms or samples, such as Pulse, Swarm, and Sampler
- Random (4): Aperiodic and randomized signal generators, such as S/H LFO and Dice
- LFO (3): Periodic low-frequency oscillators, such as LFO and Transport
- Envelope (8): Modules that produce or extract an envelope, often with a normaled amplifier, such as ADSR and Follower
- Filter (7): Frequency-dependent amplifiers, such as Low-pass LD, SVF, and Comb
- Shaper (7): Various linear and nonlinear waveshapers, such as Quantizer and Wavefolder
- Delay (5): Delay functions, some allowing patched feedback, such as Mod Delay, All-pass, and Recorder
- Mix (11): Signal routing and mixing modules, such as Mixer, Split, and Stereo Width
- Level (18): Amplitude-based functions, values, and converters, such as Attenuate, Bend, and AM/RM
- Pitch (8): Modules that produce pitch values, such as Pitch Quantize and Zero Crossings
- Math (18): Basic arithmetic operators such as Subtract, Minmax, and Round
- Logic (22): Comparators and other modules that output logic signals, such as Clock Divide, =, and XOR
- Poly Grid
- DC Offset
- Dual Pan
- Freq Shifter
- FX Grid
- Peak Limiter
- Pitch Shifter
- Resonator Bank
- Spectrum Analyzer
- Test Tone
- Time Shift
- Transient Control
- HW Clock Out
- HW CV Instrument
- HW CV Out
- HW FX
- HW Instrument
- MIDI CC
- MIDI Program Change
- MIDI Song Select
- Channel Filter
- Channel Map
- Diatonic Transposer
- Note Echo
- Note Filter
- Note Harmonizer
- Note Latch
- Note Length
- Note Pitch Shifter
- Note Velocity
- Transposition Map
Containers & Routers
- Audio Receiver
- Drum Machine
- FX Layer
- FX Selector
- Instrument Layer
- Instrument Selector
- Mid-Side Split
- Multiband FX-2
- Multiband FX-3
- Note Receiver
- Step MOD
- XY Effect
- XY Instrument
- Audio Rate
- Audio Sidechain
- Beat LFO
- Classic LFO
- Envelope Follower
- HW CV In
- Note Sidechain
- Sample and Hold
- Voice Stack
- This fundamental collection of packages includes essential presets for Bitwig synths, effects, Sampler, and drum machine as well as samples for sampler and drum machine patches. Install this package first, following your installation of Bitwig Studio.
- Classic drum machines never go out of style. Put these carefully sampled and re-created drum kits to work as you compose your own electronic classics.
- Essential Patterns: is a customizable collection of Bitwig Studio Clips—bass lines, chord progressions, melodies, and much more—that can include MIDI notes and messages along with device presets.
- Bitwig Demo Projects: the Bitwig demo projects in one place—from yesteryear till today.
- Grand Piano Lite: a professionally sampled stereo re-creation of the world-famous Bösendorfer grand piano, a lighter version of our larger Grand Piano package.
- Essential Presets: a versatile package of Bitwig-created content and includes the vast majority of Bitwig Studio device presets.
- Evolving Sounds and Sequences: sound design really comes alive with modulation.
- Bitwig Wavetables: carefully crafted wavetables in five categories: real-world acoustic instruments, various analog and digital synthesis techniques, recursive fractal spectra, and various series of harmonics.
- Polymerics: this package explores the vast sonic terrain opened by our straightforward and fun synthesizer, Polymer.
- Bass-08: a digital resurrection of the legendary 808 drum machine, made possible with Bitwig Studio's advanced device technology.
- Electric Keys: bring the original sounds to life and repurpose them as modern performances in Bitwig Studio.
- The Bitwig Extended Collection contains all factory content packages created at Bitwig—more than 4GB of irresistible goodies, from presets and samples to drum kits, synths, clips, and much more.
- Acoustic Drum Kits: this large collection of realistic sampled acoustic drums offers multiple kits and samples, captured with four velocity layers and played with a variety of sticks and articulations.
- Acoustic Bass: features a warm, realistic acoustic bass sampled in a variety of articulations and playing styles. Just right for adding a touch of sultry, slinky cool to your projects.
- Vibraphone: rich, high-quality vibraphone was meticulously sampled at five velocities over four octaves. It’s like playing the real thing, and in your full control.
- Classic Synths: this collection of juicy samples from the golden age of synthesis features sounds from some of the most popular synths of the era. Sampler presets and a selection of one-shot chord samples.
- Acoustic Percussion: a high-quality, multisampled collection of percussion kits and instruments, including congas, bongos, shakers, woodblocks, rattles, chimes, djembe, and yes, cowbell.
- Wundertuete: Experimental Sounds, Toys, and More: an eclectic grab-bag including multisampled keys, complex layered ensembles, and abstract sonic surprises.
- Electric String Synth: a multisampled re-creation of an orchestral synth similar to the classic Logan String Melody. Sounds old-school and awesome.
- Electric Bass - Plucked: this multisampled package reproduces the crisp detail of an electric bass in four velocity layers. Lay down the bottom.
- Sound Effects and Noises: unique collection of effects, such as laser shots, sweeps, and blips, that you can use as stand-alone, one-shots or to spice up one of your custom kits.
- Electronic Drum Kits: Bitwig’s own Electronic Drum Kits feature dynamic synthesized, processed, and layered electronic drum samples and kits in a wide range of styles. Use them as is, or customize them as you like.
- Layered Sounds: is a broad selection of layered instruments—drums, keys, effects, and more—all completely customizable, and all ready to deliver new depth, breadth, and punch to your projects.
- Marimba: this warm, resonant marimba was sampled over four octaves at five velocities and delivers authenticity and complete expressive control.
- Seven String Electric Guitar: a recreation of the seven-string Squier Stagemaster-7 electric guitar reproduces the guitar’s notes in four velocities over four octaves. Play it clean, or splash on the color with amp emulations.
- Grand Piano: our multisampled version of the world-famous Bösendorfer grand piano is a big, responsive, realistic instrument that can blend perfectly into any project at any stage of production.
- Rare Organs and Keys: Rare Organs and Keys package lets you add iconic tone and soul with recreations of three classic keyboards: Farfisa Syntorchestra, Philips Philicorda, and VOX Continental Baroque.
- Analog Waves: delivers the best of sampled analog sources into Bitwig Studio's ultra-flexible digital environment, ready for you to morph, twist, tease, and tweak to your heart's content.
- Audio FX - Space, Time, Color: offering more than 150 creative audio effect presets, the Audio - FX Space, Time, Color package brings a fresh palette of colors, shapes, and textures to your audio projects.
- Anti-Loops: an ever-changing landscape of anti-loops, featuring 100+ clips with sequenced notes and audio using Comping and Operators in creative ways
- Cristian Vogel Bitwig Lab: this package, from electronic music innovator, producer, and performer Cristian Vogel, includes clips, samples, effects, and device presets designed exclusively for Bitwig.
- Polarity Tools: a fantastic collection of unique creations, ranging from subtle to extreme, from emotional to technical, with a strong focus on harmony, musicality, and playability.
- Claude Young - Cinematic Synth Sounds: this package offers ten unique multisampled instruments (and 30 dynamic presets) from Reverb.com's "Claude Young | Detroit Sound Science Vol. 1 - Cinematic Synth Sounds."
- Fingalick Jams: explore this collection of Fingalick's samples, presets, and clips for use in your productions or as inspiration. Build chord progressions for hip-hop, modern R&B, and more.
- Bitwig Lab II: Cristian Vogel, creator of Bitwig's first artist package, the Cristian Vogel Bitwig Lab, returns with a new package of goodies—a surprising and original collection that will reward your curiosity.
- Irrupt System: This inspiring package includes exclusive sound elements such as synths, basses, drums, FX, and one-shots, all curated for Bitwig by Irrupt, a sound design and production company.
- Irrupt Eurorack: this package features an exciting array of analog Eurorack loops and drum kits created by Irrupt, a premium sound design and production company based in Denver and Berlin. Find inspiration here.
Partner Collection (Teasers)
- TheLoopLoft Loops: feature drums, percussion, bass, guitar, sax, flute, and more played by pros and recorded in top-quality studios.
- Earth Moments Loops: this teaser package of world music loops from our content partner EarthMoments is a great introduction to their production quality and creative direction.
- JoMoX X-Basics: This teaser package provides a taste of the analog drum machines and synths created by Berlin-based JoMoX.
- Wave Alchemy Loops & Samples: this Wave Alchemy package features professionally produced wet and dry claps, synth drum one-shots, cinematic SFX, drum fills, grooves, and much more.
- Raw Cutz Sampler 1: this teaser package takes its inspiration from machines, instruments, and techniques of the past, and delivers classic hip-hop drums, breaks, and cuts.
- Prime Loops Bass Music: this package is a sampling from Prime Loops, featuring loops and one-shots designed for dubstep, drum'n’bass, twerk, and trap.
- Prime Loops Deeper: a 400 MB teaser of chillstep beats, future synths, pads, FX, and baile chill grooves that will add new depth to your music.
- CAPSUN ProAudio Loops: features great sounds for bass music and other electronic genres—from their inspiring team of producers, musicians, and sound designers.