The silver Korg i3 is a self-contained, well-featured music workstation with 61 full-size, velocity-sensitive keys, for the budding composer, the energetic performer, or the inspired, up-and-coming producer. The workstation can help you organize and capture musical themes and phrases so you can form complete, ready-to-play productions.
By grouping parts, beats, and sounds together by Sound Set and Style Performance Set, the i3 streamlines the creative process, providing a shortcut to choosing the right sounds and pulling together the right beats and grooves. The onboard effects and EQ tailor the sound for any performance, while the sequencer records, saves, and plays both MIDI and audio files, allowing you to play along. Self-contained, simple to use, and fun to play, the i3 is the ideal synth for the Using battery power, the KORG i3 Music Workstation can run wherever you run; a convenient auto-power off function preserves battery life.
The i3 features a 61 full-size, velocity-sensing keyboard and offers an adjustable touch response using the three touch-curves; a fourth setting provides a fixed output level. Transpose buttons shift the pitch of the keyboard up or down by two octaves, in octave increments. The professional joystick allows real-time articulation of pitch bend, vibrato, and brilliance during performance, while an additional two-band EQ (Low and High) provides a final adjustment to the overall tone. All front-panel buttons and controls are conveniently grouped together by function, and the custom backlit LCD delivers easy-to-read visual feedback regarding the instrument’s current settings. A rotary data-wheel encoder can quickly edit the value of the onscreen parameters.
The KORG i3 Music Workstation features plenty of connections and performance options on the rear panel to satisfy any situation. There are two 1/4" outputs (Left/Mono and Right) for audio monitoring, in addition to an 1/8” stereo headphone output, an 1/8” audio input is also provided. A 1/4" foot control input jack provides the function of the footswitch or expression pedal that is user defined. A 5-pin DIN MIDI output jack sends note and timing data from the i3 to other MIDI equipped instruments or audio gear. Two USB ports (device and host) are provided for loading and saving user data from a flash drive or to connect to a computer. When not running on battery power, the i3 can be connected to a suitable AC power source using the included adapter.
Sound Library and Effects
- Nearly 800 instrument sounds created with critical precision by master programmers and musicians
- Includes a complete GM2 sound set for General MIDI compatibility
- 59 custom Drum kits
- High-fidelity PCM sound engine provides a generous 64 voices of polyphony
- Two stereo effect processors, each with 173 variations
- Convenient Grand Piano button instantly recalls the prime piano sound of the i3 in any mode, at any time
- 200 Sound Sets - play four related sounds in real-time
- 270 Style Performances - sounds and parts generated by the i3 to augment a performance
- Style Performance Set enhances any performance by adding missing parts
- Generates drum beats, basslines, percussion hit, and other backing parts including funk brass, strummed guitar, or a string quartet to a grinding blues organ
- Eight parts per backing track
- Each of the 270 Styles recalls a different set of backing sounds
- Four sounds on the keyboard at once
- Three layered across the upper keys
- One split to the lower keys
- Reset the split point instantly each one
- Select or mute all backing parts or real-time parts
- Volume of each part can be adjusted at will
- Backing sounds, grooves, and parts can be swapped or substituted from any Style Performance Set for a custom performance
- Active backing parts will follow your chord changes and voice leading to create a personalized track to match your performance
- Eight Chord buttons can suggest and provide ready-made chords
- Each Style is a complete song-creation environment, with ready-to-play sounds, parts, and chords
- Each Style includes four rhythmic variations, a count-in, a break, plus an intro and an ending.
- Like the Sound Set parts, Style Performance Set parts have two independent stereo effect processors, each with 173 variations
Performing and Sequencing
- Compose, play, record, and share your creations with the world
- All settings used to create a song or performance: Style Performance Set settings, Sound Set settings, Tempo, Effect settings, etc., can be saved into a single Set List location for instant recall
- 10 banks of Set Lists, each with 5 locations
- Sequencer can function as a track-by-track linear 16-track recorder in the Normal mode, allowing individual tracks to be edited or replaced
- Finished or recorded projects can be exported as a MIDI data file
- Performance Recording Mode: Entire performances can be captured and recorded as audio data, and exported as an audio .WAV (44.1 kHz) file
- On-board sequencer plays audio files saved in the .WAV (44.1 kHz) or MP3 format