This Wolverine 77mm Reverse-Graduated ND 0.9 Filter with Magnetic Ring from Kase can be applied to darken bright skies, specifically during a sunrise or sunset, while allowing for a normal, unaffected exposure in the other regions of the image. The filter achieves its effect with a 0.9 band of density above its center region that provides up to a 3-stop reduction in light from entering a lens. This band extends in both vertical directions and tapers to approximately a 0.3 density and a 1-stop reduction in light at the edge above it. Directly below the 0.9 band of density, it tapers to clear, with a hard-edged line of transition before the clear area.
The placement of a 0.9 band of density with a clear area directly below allows this 77mm reverse-graduated ND 0.9 filter to match the positioning of the sun when it is at, or immediately above, the horizon. In such instances, the sun can appear closer to the center of an image as opposed to the upper edge, and an increase in brightness is created that is more prominent on both sides of the sun than above it. This pattern of brightness corresponds to the density pattern on the filter design. The hard-edged line of transition in this reverse-graduated neutral density filter is useful for hard transitions between the sky and land, while the 3-stop to approximately 1-stop gradation is applicable to multiple regions of brightness within the sky.
This Kase reverse-graduated ND filter features Schott B270 Superwhite glass for enhanced clarity and color fidelity. Each glass surface includes multiple layers of antireflection coatings to prevent internal ghosting and reflections. These coatings also offer greater protection to the filter substrate and help it stay clean for longer than with uncoated filters.
- Wolverine magnetic adapter ring allows filters to be quickly interchanged and securely held in place
- Effectively darkens bright skies, specifically during a sunrise or sunset, while allowing for a normal, unaffected exposure in the other regions of the image
- 3-stop band of density tapers to approximately a 1-stop density at the edge above it, while directly above a clear area
- Creates a neutral density pattern that matches the positioning of the sun when it is at, or immediately above, the horizon
- Density pattern corresponds to the brightness pattern of the sun when it appears at or is closer to the horizon as opposed to a higher angle, which creates an increase in brightness that is more prominent on both sides of the sun than above it
- Hard-edged line of transition between the 3-stop band of density and the clear area below it is useful for hard transitions between the sky and land
- 3-stop to approximately 1-stop gradation applicable to multiple regions of brightness within the sky
- Filter does not affect the overall coloration of the image
- Schott B270 Superwhite glass for enhanced clarity and color fidelity
- Multi-coated to prevent internal ghosting and reflections
- Scratch-resistant, mold-resistant, and hydrophobic coatings on each glass surface protect the filter substrate and result in an improved beading effect when in contact with water or oil for greater cleaning efficiency
- Aluminum alloy filter ring assembly is durable while remaining lightweight
- Rotating design allows for gradation positioning along the horizon line
- Plastic filter case for storage and transport