The Behringer CAT is an authentic reproduction of the original CAT SRM II by Octave Electronics and has been painstakingly engineered using the original VCO, VCF, and VCA designs with pure analog circuitry and matched transistors and JFETs to create the iconic sound that's been used by so many world-famous artists including Jan Hammer, Chick Corea, Rick Wakeman, Jean-Michel Jarre, Isao Tomita, Keith Emerson, and a host of others.
The instrument easily taps into the inspired sounds from the 70's and 80's, making it well suited for progressive rock, wave, EDM, and synth-pop, by creating super-fat bass and lead tones, as well as special effects and otherworldly sounds. There are 47 controls that are logically laid out, allowing for fast and easy navigation and exploration. Additionally, there are seven patch inputs and four patch outputs, which allow you to route external CV and gate signals to and from the instrument for expanded control. The external audio input allows for external audio processing through the filters, modulation, and more.
The CAT features authentic duophonic/paraphonic oscillators that can be controlled independently. Osc 1 features four variable waveforms (sub-octave, sawtooth, triangle, and modulated-pulse), while Osc 2 provides three variable waveforms (sub-octave, square, sawtooth). All waveforms having dedicated sliders that combine for remarkable rich and harmonic tones. Additionally, oscillators offer cross-modulation, sync, and a wide range of LFO modulations.
The VCF section offers cutoff and resonance controls and can self oscillate. Create funky bass lines, searing leads, and drum/percussion sounds. Dedicated ADSR and AR envelope generators allow you to shape the VCO, VCF, and VCA circuits over time. The ADSR can be set to automatically repeat, creating a custom shaped LFO-esque control every time a key is pressed. The CAT is Eurorack compatible, allowing you to remove the synth module from its enclosure and place it into any Eurorack compatible case. The Behringer CAT includes a power supply.
- Authentic reproduction of original CAT SRM II circuitry with matched transistors and JFETs
- Pure analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
- 4 variable and simultaneous oscillator shapes (Sawtooth, Triangle, modulated Pulse, and Sub-Octave Square) for remarkable sounds
- Duophonic/Paraphonic mode allows both oscillators to be independently controlled
- Oscillators can be modulated from 6 different sources with 2 modulation depth attenuators
- Classic filter design (low pass with peak/resonance) with self-resonance capability
- Filter can be modulated from 6 different sources with 2 modulation depth attenuators
- Dedicated and fully analog sine/square wave LFO
- 2 analog Envelope Generators for modulation of VCF and VCA
- White noise generator dramatically expands waveform generation
- 16-voice Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16 voice polyphony
- Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
- 47 controls give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters
- Audio input for processing external sound sources for enhanced creativity
- External control inputs and outputs (High Note CV, Low Note CV, Gate, Filter, etc.)
- Comprehensive USB/MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection