Comprising the essentials needed to begin shooting, the Panasonic Lumix S1 Mirrorless Camera with Accessories Kit from B&H bundles the full-frame body with a memory card and a protective camera bag.
As part of Panasonic's entry into full-frame mirrorless, the Lumix S1 is a well-rounded camera offering advanced feature-sets for both stills and video, along with a robust physical construction. Characterized by its full-frame 24.2MP MOS sensor, which is supported by an updated Venus Engine, the S1 offers impressive image quality along with a quick 9 fps shooting rate and expanded sensitivity range up to ISO 204800. In regard to video, the S1 can record UHD 4K30p with full-pixel readout, 4:2:2 10-bit color, and unlimited shooting times, as well as 4K60p for up to 29:59. HDR video recording is possible using the dedicated Hybrid Log Gamma mode, and a firmware update will be available to add 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording along with V-Log. Complementing both stills and video capabilities, the image sensor also utilizes an advanced DFD contrast-detection autofocus system for quick and precise focusing and subject tracking. Additionally, sensor-shift image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by 6.0 stops for sharper handheld shooting.
Beyond the imaging attributes, the S1 is also distinguished by its body design, which incorporates an impressively high resolution 5.76m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder along with a 3.2" 2.1m-dot triaxial tilt touchscreen LCD. The magnesium-alloy body is weather-sealed to permit working in harsh conditions and has a top status LCD for reviewing shooting settings on the fly. CFexpress Type B/XQD and SD card slots offer flexible storage capabilities and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity afford remote camera control along with wireless image transferring to tablets and smartphones.
Complementing the video quality, a High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode, along with a dedicated Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) Photo Style mode, can be used to expand highlight and shadow details and offer greater flexibility when color grading. An optional paid firmware update will be available to further heighten recording capabilities with support for 4:2:2 sampling, 10-bit color depth internal recording along with V-Log. Additionally, recording to an optional external recorder is possible, via the HDMI Type A port, and support for an external microphone and headphones are also available via dedicated 3.5mm jacks.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- An impressive Real View Finder is a high-resolution 5.76m-dot OLED EVF offering a clear 0.78x configurable viewing magnification along with a smooth 60 fps or 120 fps changeable refresh rate, 0.005 sec lag, and 10,000:1 contrast ratio.
- Large 3.2" 2.1m-dot LCD is a bright, clear means for live view shooting as well as playback and menu navigation. The screen features a triaxial tilting design to suit working from high and low angles, even in the vertical shooting orientation, and its touchscreen design affords intuitive settings control. Live View Boost is a dedicated viewing mode for working in low-light conditions, where the viewing sensitivity can be increased to aid in composing your image, and a Night mode also benefits working in dark conditions by lowering the screen's backlight intensity.
- In addition to the rear LCD, a top status LCD can also be used for quickly reviewing shooting settings, even when the camera is powered off.
- Durable, weather-sealed magnesium-alloy construction is splash, dust, and freezeproof to accommodate working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments.
- Ergonomic design provides a large, comfortable right-hand grip along with easily accessible physical controls, an eight-way joystick, and a refined overall UI design for intuitive use. Additionally, illuminated buttons aid settings adjustment in low-light conditions and a lock lever prevents unwanted settings changes.
- Dual memory card slots—one CFexpress Type B/XQD slot and one SD UHS-II compatible slot—offer improved flexibility for image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording.
- A USB Type-C port allows for fast file transferring as well as high-speed in-camera battery charging. Additionally, an HDMI Type A port benefits video applications, a 2.5mm port can be used with the optional DMW-RS2 Remote Shutter, 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks suit advanced audio recording needs, and a PC sync port can be used for wired flash synchronization.
- DMW-BLJ31 rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated for approximately 380-400 shots per charge when working with the rear monitor, 360-380 shots per charge with the EVF, and 1100-1150 shots per charge when Power Save LVF mode is on.
- High precision shutter mechanism offers a top mechanical speed of 1/8000 sec, a flash sync speed of 1/320 sec, and has been tested for approximately 400,000 actuations.
Benefitting manual focus operation, focus peaking is available that highlights bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for quickly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist for touch-to-focus operation. Other AF features include an AF Point Scope setting that temporarily magnifies the subject by 3x to 10x for confirmation of the focus position and a custom selectable AF zone for Multi AF / Custom Multi AF.
- Burst: This mode will allow you to continuously record, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8 or 18MP frame.
Complementing the camera's wireless connectivity, Lumix Sync is an iOS and Android app designed to pair with the camera for smartphone or tablet-based remote shooting control and wireless image transferring. 4K video files may be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi.
- By using sensor-shift stabilization technology, the S1 features a High Resolution mode to capture and compile eight separate exposure to create a single 96MP raw or JPEG file. Suitable for static subjects and when working on a tripod, this mode creates a more highly detailed and color accurate image than a single shot alone can produce and produces an image with a 12000 x 8000-pixel resolution.
- HLG Photo mode offers increased dynamic range for improved detail in shadow and highlight regions of the image. When working in HLG Photo mode, images can be saved as an HSP file in either 4K or full resolution, in addition to JPEG and raw formats, for vivid playback on 4K televisions.
- In addition to conventional 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 16:9 ratios, photos can also be recorded in 65:24 and 2:1 panoramic formats.
- I.S. Status Scope helps to recognize the type of camera shake being caused by displaying an arrow in the viewfinder or on the rear LCD.
- Flicker Decrease automatically detects the frequency/flicker of artificial lighting and activates the shutter at peak brightness moments to render exposures with consistent exposure and color.
- Helping to contain bright highlights, Highlight Weighted Metering mode prioritizes highlight values when making an exposure metering in order to prevent scenes from blowing out.
- Offering more versatility than standard Auto White Balance (AWB), an AWBw setting will retain a reddish warm tint while AWBc offers a cooler, bluish tint.
- Lumix Tether enables wired, tethered shooting capabilities via USB connection between the camera and a computer. Aside from offering a larger live view preview, this application also permits remotely triggering the shutter, use of 6K and 4K Photo modes, and video recording start/stop.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Flat, Landscape, Portrait, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, L. Monochrome D, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, Like709, Standard (HLG), Monochrome (HLG), Like2100, and My Photo Style.
The Retrospective 7M Shoulder Bag from Think Tank Photo stores and protects a DSLR or mirrorless camera with an attached 24-70mm lens, plus an additional 70-200mm lens, a flash, and additional accessories. Alternatively, you can fit a small drone with its controller and accessories in place of your camera equipment. The bag is designed to look like a shoulder bag rather than a camera bag, but it offers dedicated compartments for camera gear.
The bag is made of durable cotton canvas that has been treated for water resistance. It has a large flap with dual turn buckles to keep it securely closed and an interior nylon lining padded with closed-cell foam for protection. The main compartment has padded touch-fastening PE-reinforced dividers for organizing your gear. A large pocket under the flap will hold and organize memory cards, cables, your wallet, keys, and other smaller gear.
A pocket on the back of the bag holds papers and documents like boarding passes safely and securely with fast access to them. A water bottle/accessory pocket on the exterior can be collapsed and strapped tight to further minimize the profile. A simple webbing rail accommodates modular pouches or a carabineer, so you can further customize the bag to your needs and gear. Carry the Retrospective 7M by the padded removable top handle, or wear it with the adjustable padded shoulder strap. You can also attach it to the handle of a rolling carry-on bag. To further protect your valuable gear, a seam-sealed rain cover is included for wet weather conditions.
Designed for professional photographers and videographers, the 32GB G Series XQD Memory Card from Sony is made to excel in high-end DSLRs, including models from Nikon and Sony, and offers a storage capacity of up to 32GB. Equipped with a PCIe 2.0 interface, this XQD card features read speeds of up to 440 MB/s and write speeds of up to 400 MB/s, allowing it to record 4K video and up to 200 continuous raw still image bursts.
As with most Sony cards, this memory card is shockproof, X-ray proof, and magnet proof, while also being able to withstand temperatures from -13 to 149°F, allowing you to take this card with you into extreme environments, such as snow and deserts. It is also resistant to intense UV light exposures, can resist damage from drops up to 16.4', and up to 50 N of force. Should the card's data become compromised, you also benefit from the option to download File Rescue software for free to help recover deleted content, including raw images, MOV files, and 4K XAVC-S video.