By B&H Photo's
Wide-Normal Portable Prime
A comfortable focal length with an especially portable design, the Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G is a versatile prime; an ideal single focal length option for a broad variety of situations. This lens's smart build and sophisticated G Series optics mix with intuitive handling and the sleek form factor to make it a go-to option for anything from street to landscape to travel applications.
Matched Set of Compact Primes
Together with the FE 24mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/2.5 G lenses, these three lenses form a cohesive trio with similar styling, image quality, and ergonomics:
- All lenses prioritize a compact profile with an emphasis on intuitive handling; each features a manual aperture ring along with other tactile controls.
- The three lenses share the same 49mm filter ring diameter.
- Matched aluminum finish with stylish focal length and aperture engravings, both aperture and focusing rings, and matching metal lens hoods.
G Lens Series
- Three aspherical elements promote more uniform sharpness across the frame by suppressing spherical aberrations and distortions.
- Rounded 7-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
Focus Control for Stills and Video
- Two linear motors deliver quick and accurate autofocus performance, along with capable subject tracking for working with fast-moving subjects. This AF system is also especially quiet to suit its use for cine applications.
- Internal focusing design limits the overall length of the lens for faster, more responsive focusing.
- Linear Response manual focus control offers more natural handling and an AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for tactile control over this setting.
- Customizable focus hold buttons are present on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- Impressive close-up performance for working with close-up subjects; this lens has a minimum focusing distance of 9.8" with MF (11" with AF), which results in a 0.23x maximum magnification.
- Physical aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications.
- Lens measures 1.8" and weighs 6.1 oz, making it a great portable choice that's well-suited to both full-frame and APS-C bodies.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions.
- Fluorine-coated front element is easy to clean and resists dust, moisture, and fingerprints.