A high-resolution update to the original fp, the Sigma fp L is a compact and modular mirrorless camera featuring a new 61MP full-frame sensor, improved autofocus performance, and a versatile feature-set catering to both photography and cinematography applications.
Identical in form to the first fp, and maintaining accessories compatibility, the fp L is small enough to disappear into a rig for filmmaking uses or serve as a highly portable option for travel photography. The improved sensor and focusing greatly benefits photography use while also maintaining the same impressive video recording capabilities for a professional cinema workflow.
The new 61MP full-frame BSI CMOS sensor suits high-resolution stills shooting and up to UHD 4K video recording with 12-bit raw output when recording externally. The BSI design of the sensor achieves low noise and offers a sensitivity range up to ISO 25600 for working in low-light conditions. The sensor's design also now includes on-chip phase-detection autofocus, which greatly improves focusing speed and accuracy, especially when tracking moving subjects.
Beyond sensor upgrades, the fp L also introduces the ability to receive continuous power via USB-C to benefit extended recording times, such as when shooting time-lapses, extended clips, or when using the camera as a webcam. The sleek and minimal design of the camera body incorporates a rear 3.15" 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD and the included EVF-11 Electronic Viewfinder allows for clear eye-level monitoring. A single SD card slot is available for internal file saving and the fp L also supports recording directly to USB-C-connected hard drives, benefitting raw video recording and other large file size recording applications.
- Despite the use of a more conventional Bayer array sensor, Sigma has used their experience working with Foveon sensors to inform their decision to include a low-pass filter in the sensor design to help to suppress moiré for accurate color rendering.
- Ultra-high resolution enables the Crop Zoom function, available for stills and video recording, which lets you crop into the image by up to 5x to simulate working with a longer focal length.
- Electronic shutter only design helps to achieve the compact camera size and reduces the number of moving mechanical parts. This design results in quiet and shake-free shooting with a top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec, however, only affords a top flash sync speed of 1/15 sec.
- Lossless compressed 14-bit raw stills are saved as DNG files for post-production flexibility.
- Continuous shooting at full-resolution is supported at up to 10 fps.
- Various aspect ratios, ranging from the standard 3:2 to more unique 21:9, 7:6, and 2:1 ratios, can be used in-camera for help previsualize different output ratios.
- Camera body has an internal stereo microphone, suitable for scratch audio recording, and a 3.5mm microphone port for working with an external mic. If working with the EVF-11 Electronic Viewfinder, that accessory incorporates a 3.5mm headphone port for audio monitoring.
- Making the fp L a unique tool for filmmakers working with other cameras in production environments, the camera can be used with a Director's Viewfinder mode to simulate the shooting range, frame guide, and field of view of other cinema cameras. This feature has been updated with the fp L with wider camera compatibility, and now includes ARRI ARRICAM, ARRIFLEX, ALEXA LF, ALEXA Mini LF, ALEXA SXT, ALEXA Mini, AMIRA, ALEXA65, ALEXA XT; Sony VENICE; and RED MONSTRO 8K, HELIUM 8K, DRAGON 6K, EPIC MX 5K, GEMINI 5K, and KOMODO 6K camera options.
- For in-camera adjustment over color and tone, Color Modes can be applied and adjusted directly to footage. Two new Color Modes have been added with the fp L: Powder Blue and Duotone.
- Electronic image stabilization helps to reduce camera shake when recording video.
- Camera movement control is compatible with select gimbal models.
- The fp L can be used as a webcam by simply plugging the camera into a computer via USB-C to send both video and audio signals to the computer.
- Integrated Cinemagraph function for producing unique hybrid images that blend the movement of video with a still image.
- Support for still capture during live view and movie shooting in Cine mode, as well as the ability to pull still frames from CinemaDNG and MOV movie files.
- Compatible with accessory hand grips, viewfinders, plates, and a hot shoe unit to create a camera form factor that suits a variety of intended uses. The plain rectangular camera body shape also promotes easier compatibility with third-party cages and other rigging accessories.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- USB Type-C port supports continuous power, and in-camera battery charging, via an accessory power bank for extended shooting times, time-lapse recording, or other instances when longer battery life is required.
- Included BP-51 lithium-ion battery pack provides approximately 240 shots per charge.
- HDMI Type-D and 3.5mm microphone ports are also integrated in the body's design.
- Integrated 3.15" 2.1m-dot LCD has a touchscreen design for intuitive handling.
- Included EVF-11 Electronic viewfinder attaches to the left side of the camera body for eye-level monitoring.
- Intuitive top switch for changing between CINE and STILL menu and user interface modes to suit different recording methods.
- Benefitting working with multiple fp L cameras, custom settings can be saved and shared to other bodies via a QR code. Also, screenshots can be taken of the rear LCD and saved for review.
- The body features three 1/4"-20 threaded mounts—two on the sides and one on the bottom—for connecting accessory grips, viewfinders, and even the camera strap, as well as the bottom mount for attaching the camera to a tripod or other mount.
- Included HU-11 Hot Shoe Unit for external flash use or for working with other shoe-mounted accessories.
- Large heat sink between LCD and camera body helps to efficiently dissipate heat and promote longer continuous recording times.
- Dust- and splash-resistant body design promotes working in inclement weather conditions.