Sony a7R IVA Mirrorless Camera
A New World of Photographic Expression
Sensor and Processor
61MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
BIONZ X Image Processor
In terms of shooting speeds, the sensor and processor enable up to 10 fps shooting, at full resolution, for up to 68 consecutive frames, with full-time AF/AE.
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting
Fast Hybrid AF System
The apt focus system also lends itself to a variety of focusing functions for refined accuracy:
- Lock-on AF maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is set over the desired moving subject
- Expand Flexible Spot employs neighboring focus points to retain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus
- Eye AF can be used to base focus on recognized human subjects' eyes for portraits and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes and for both stills and video. Eye AF can be used when photographing animal subjects, too, with any focusing mode when shooting stills.
- The Focus Magnifier function can be used for critical focus when homing in on minute subject details
- Rear touchscreen can be used for Touch Focus control and a Touchpad Focus Control mode lets you use the rear screen intuitively while keeping your eye to the viewfinder
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
- Internal recording of UHD 4K video is possible in multiple frame rates up to 30 fps using the full width of the sensor with 8-bit 4:2:0 color sampling using the 100Mbps XAVC S codec.
- Oversampled 4K recording is also possible, which uses a 6K capture area with a Super 35 crop for greater detail. This full pixel readout is void of pixel binning for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing.
- Full HD 1080p recording is also supported in frame rates up to 120 fps. The high-speed, 120 fps recording also enables 4x and 5x Slow& Quick Motion (S&Q) movie recording with the frame rate set to either 30p or 24p.
- In addition to high-resolution internal recording, uncompressed HDMI output also enables the use of an optional external recorder for clean 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling.
- 4K video recording also avails the ability to produce 8MP stills during playback by taking a frame grab from a movie and storing it as a separate file.
S-Log3 and HLG Color Control
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support permits recording within a wide color gamut for producing HDR-ready content directly from the camera.
- S-Log3 is also available for producing a 14+-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
Body Design and Connectivity
Viewfinder and LCD Screen
- Updated OLED Tru-Finder EVF has a 5.76m-dot resolution for bright, clear viewing in rich detail
- Dedicated High quality setting enables a 120 fps refresh rate for especially smooth playback of moving subjects.
- The 3.0" 2.36m-dot rear LCD has a touch panel design for intuitive operation and focusing control.
- Screen tilts upward 107° and downward 41° to benefit working from high and low angles.
Professional Body Design
- Magnesium alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable hand-holding.
- Extensive weather-sealing, including enhanced sealing around the battery cover, terminal cover, and chassis joints, has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Using the same NP-FZ100 battery as its predecessor, the a7R IVA's battery life is rated for approximately 530 shots per charge with the EVF or 660 shots with the rear LCD.
- Dual SD memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and handling and can be configured to partition raw and JPEG files or can be used for overflow recording. Both of the card slots are rated to support UHS-II memory cards for faster transfer speeds.
Ports and Interface
- USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged from the host power source while connected.
- Updated Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- Both 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- HDMI micro (Type D) connector offers a clean signal out for working with optional external recorders.
- Integrated PC sync terminal for wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the remote camera control and instant sharing of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online, and support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support. This connectivity also provides remote camera control.
- Use of the Imaging Edge mobile app is benefitted by Bluetooth to maintain a reliable connection between the camera and mobile device.
- Bluetooth connectivity also allows for location data acquisition.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
Dedicated Accessories from Sony
For improved audio recording, and making use of the a7R IVA's updated Multi Interface Shoe and digital audio interface, there is the ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone, which delivers a digital audio stream directly to the camera for cleaner quality with low noise. For even more advanced audio control, there is also the XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which is a dual-channel digital XLR audio adapter for connecting external microphones to the camera while still benefitting from the digital audio interface.
Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM Lens
Ultimate Wide-Angle Versatility
G Master Design
- As part of Sony's esteemed G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations.
- Bright f/2.8 constant maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also affords increased control over depth of field.
- Nano AR Coating has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions.
- Rounded 11-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing shallow depth of field techniques.
- Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements and three standard aspherical elements are incorporated into the optical design, which features superior surface precision for effective control over astigmatism, field curvature, coma, distortion and other spherical aberrations for a high degree of sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Two ED elements are featured in the lens design and help to reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
Practical and Intuitive Handling
- Two Direct Drive SSM (DDSSM) autofocus groups offer quick, quiet, and precise focusing performance that is ideal for both stills and video applications.
- Floating focusing system divides the focus group into two separately controlled groups and helps to maintain consistently clear optical performance throughout the zoom and focus ranges.
- Dedicated focus hold button and AF/MF switch for direct tactile control over focus settings.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Front element features a fluorine coating to guard against fingerprints and dust from adhering to it.