The Lightning Bug Plus from MK Controls is a camera-top lightning trigger that helps you detect lightning before it hits. It detects lightning before it hits and directs your camera shutter to capture it just in time. A camera-specific cable (not included) is required for connecting the Lightning Bug to your camera.
The Lightning Bug Plus is based upon the science of lightning. There are two components of lightning: the bright white flash everyone wants to capture, and the unseen infrared light that always precedes it. The Lightning Bug uses a high-speed photodiode sensor optimized to the infrared burst that occurs just before a lightning strike. This infrared light comes from the vaporization of air and particles in the air. The Lightning Bug acts as a lookout, watching for a change in infrared light. When a significant change of infra-red light over a very short period of time is detected, the Lightning Bug directs the camera shutter to trip and capture the lightning strike.
The Lightning Bug Plus conveniently mounts on your camera hot shoe, although it can be used off-camera as well. (For certain Sony cameras, a cold shoe adapter may be required for the proprietary Sony shoe mount.) It's powered by a 9V battery, sold separately. MK Controls recommends either an Alkaline or general-purpose battery. Rechargeable batteries are not recommended due to the current consumption characteristics of the circuitry during operation.
The sensitivity of the Lightning Bug Plus is adjustable to different shooting situations. This gives you full control over when to take the picture. If you only want to capture the brightest and boldest lightning bolts, you would decrease the sensitivity. If you want to capture lightning over the city or mountains from a long distance, you would increase the sensitivity. You can also limit the number of possible exposures per second to between 1 and 10. This feature allows you to capture repeated lightning strikes successfully. The Lightning Bug Plus is also designed to withstand exposure to rain. The design incorporates weather-resistant soft touch buttons.
- Power-on self-test
- Event indicator light
- Sensitivity set-point indicator (LED bar graph)
- MOSFET isolation between your camera and the Lightning Bug's circuitry
- 26 levels of sensitivity for complete control in all lighting situations
- Testing of your shutter release is supported via the Lightning Bug's circuitry
- Firmware is field-updateable
- Easily adjust frames per second (from 1 to 10)
- Water-resistant soft-touch panel buttons
- Simple three-button control of all features
- Requires a standard 9V battery, sold separately (an Alkaline or general-purpose battery is recommended; rechargeable batteries are not recommended)
- Your battery can be replaced without removing the Lightning Bug from the camera's shoe mount
- Canon 4000D, EOS M, EOS M3, EOS M50, G7, G9, PowerShot N, S100, S110, S120, S90, S95, SX510 HS, XC10
- Nikon 1 AW1, 1 J1, 1 J2, 1 S1, 1 V1, 1J3, D100, D3000, D3400, D3500, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, L840, P610, P900, Z fc, Z50
- Sony A230, A290, A3000, A330, A330TT, A380, A390, A7C, NEX-3, NEX-3C, NEX-5, NEX-5C, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5T, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, QX 10, QX 100, RX1, RX1R
- Olympus E-330, E500, Evolt E-330, Evolt E500, OM-1, OM-D E-M10 III, PEN E-PL1, PEN E-PL1s, SP-510 UZ
- Panasonic FZ35, FZ45, FZ70, FZ72, FZ80, FZ82, GF2, GF3, GF5, GM1, GX80, GX85, GX9, LX5, LX7
- Pentax K3 III, K-m, K-r, K-S2, K-x, MX-1, Q, Q-S1
- Fujifilm FinePix S100FS, HS10, HS11, HS20EXR, HS22EXR, HS25EXR, HS28EXR, HS30EXR, HS33EXR, HS35EXR, HS50EXR, IS-1, S1 Pro, S2 Pro, S20, S200EXR, S205EXR, S9000, S9100, S9500, S9600, X100, X100S, X-E1, XF-1, X-Pro1, X-S1, X-S10
- Samsung Galaxy NX, NX Mini, NX-1, NX1000, NX1100, NX20, NX-200, NX2000, NX210, NX-210, NX30, NX300, NX3000, NX300M, NX500
- Sigma DP1, DP2, SD14
- Leica C (Typ 112), M8, M8.2, M9, M9-P, M-Monochrom, S2, X1