- UHD 4K recording is possible with frame rates up to 120p, using full 1:1 pixel readout without binning. Internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling is also possible in all recording modes and, if recording externally via the full-size HDMI A port, 16-bit raw output is also possible for even greater tonal reproduction and post-production flexibility.
- Two codecs have also been developed: XAVC HS, which uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to retain more detail at smaller bitrates, and XAVC S-I, which is an intraframe codec for consistent performance and quality at bitrates up to 600 Mb/s.
- The high-speed, 120 fps recording enables 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording with the frame rate playback set to either 30p or 24p or, if moving down to Full HD resolution, an effective 240p frame rate is also available for even greater motion control.
- Suiting long-form recording, the a7S III does not have any recording time limits to allow for unlimited clip lengths. The camera's physical design also features an improved heat-dissipating structure to promote longer possible recording times, up to an approximate 60-minute recording time at 4K60p.
- S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colors and healthy-looking skin tone rendering that matches the FX9 and FX6 cameras and is based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, such as the VENICE. This color profile offers natural mid-tones, soft colors, and especially well-controlled highlights.
- Affording extensive customizable color and gamma controls, the you can adjust the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. Also, users can use the same S-Log2 Gamma Curve that is found on high end Sony Cinema cameras that squeezes up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal then traditional REC709, for increased post-production flexibility.
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
Additionally, specifically for video, there is also an Active IS mode that adds even more precise stabilization methods for even smoother footage straight out of camera.
- An impressive QXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF features a high 9.44m-dot resolution and 0.9x magnification for exceptionally bright, clear, and detailed eye-level viewing. This viewfinder has a dedicated 120 fps High Quality setting for smooth motion rendering and the finder's physical design has a long 25mm eye point, 41° field of view, and features a fluorine coating on the outermost viewfinder element to benefit cleaning.
- A first for a7-series cameras, a side-opening 3.0" 1.44m-dot vari-angle articulating screen benefits working from high and low angles as well as a front-facing position for vlogging or other self-recording needs. This LCD is a touchscreen, too, for intuitive shooting control and menu navigation.
- Redesigned menu structure is more intuitive and complements having different workflows and settings selections for movie recording and stills shooting. The menu system also works in conjunction with the touchscreen design of the rear LCD.
- Dual memory card slots both accept either CFexpress Type A or SD-type memory cards. The dual slot design allows for flexible file saving and handling and can be configured to partition file types or can be used for overflow recording. Additionally, both of the card slots are rated to support UHS-II memory cards for faster transfer speeds.
- Magnesium alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses, and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable hand-holding.
- Extensive weather-sealing, including enhanced sealing around the battery cover, terminal cover, and chassis joints, has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Accepts the high-capacity NP-FZ100 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which provides approximately 510 shots/80 minutes of recording per charge when using the viewfinder or 600 shots/95 minutes of recording per charge when using the rear LCD.
- Full-size HDMI A port offers a more reliable connection when working with external recorders.
- A USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged or powered from the host power source while connected.
- Both 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the remote camera control and instant sharing of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online, and support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support. This connectivity also provides remote camera control
- USB Type-C port can be paired with an optional Ethernet wired LAN adapter to provide 1000BASE-T connectivity, wired remote shooting, or FTP transferring.
The 128GB SF-M Tough Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card from Sony features a storage capacity of 128GB and takes advantage of the UHS-II bus to support advanced DSLR functions such as continuous shutter bursts and rapid shooting, as well as raw and JPEG captures. This card is also well-suited for video capture, including 4K, Full HD, and 3D video. It can achieve maximum read speeds of up to 277 MB/s and maximum write speeds of up to 150 MB/s. Thanks to its V60 speed class rating, minimum write speeds are guaranteed not to drop below 60 MB/s.
To help facilitate card usage in almost any environment, as well as keeping your content safe, Sony has built the Tough Series with a rugged design that can withstand drops up to 16.4' / 5m, immersion in up to 16.4' / 5m of water for up to 72 hours, and is bend and dust proof, as well as able to withstand temperature extremes from -13 to 185°F. The Tough Series is also up to 18 times stronger than standard SD media (180N compared to 10N) and features a one-piece molded construction that is ribless with no write protect switch, helping to further guard against physical damage that can affect SD cards, such as a broken plastic casing, a broken data protection lock, and broken connector ribs. Should the card's data become compromised, you also benefit from the option to download File Rescue software for free to help recover deleted content.
UHS-II media achieves its speed through an extra row of pins and while this card has been designed for cameras that are UHS-II / V60 compatible, it may be used in devices that do not support UHS-II / V60. However, bear in mind that this card will then default to your device's speed class and bus rating, such as UHS-II and V30, which supports minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s, or UHS-I and U3, which also supports minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s. If your device does not support U3, this card is compatible with the U1 and Class 10 standards, each of which guarantees minimum write speeds of 10 MB/s. When used in a UHS-I device, this card delivers read speeds of up to 95 MB/s and write speeds of up to 90 MB/s.
The Retrospective 7M Shoulder Bag from Think Tank Photo stores and protects a DSLR or mirrorless camera with an attached 24-70mm lens, plus an additional 70-200mm lens, a flash, and additional accessories. Alternatively, you can fit a small drone with its controller and accessories in place of your camera equipment. The bag is designed to look like a shoulder bag rather than a camera bag, but it offers dedicated compartments for camera gear.
The bag is made of durable cotton canvas that has been treated for water resistance. It has a large flap with dual turn buckles to keep it securely closed and an interior nylon lining padded with closed-cell foam for protection. The main compartment has padded touch-fastening PE-reinforced dividers for organizing your gear. A large pocket under the flap will hold and organize memory cards, cables, your wallet, keys, and other smaller gear.
A pocket on the back of the bag holds papers and documents like boarding passes safely and securely with fast access to them. A water bottle/accessory pocket on the exterior can be collapsed and strapped tight to further minimize the profile. A simple webbing rail accommodates modular pouches or a carabineer, so you can further customize the bag to your needs and gear. Carry the Retrospective 7M by the padded removable top handle, or wear it with the adjustable padded shoulder strap. You can also attach it to the handle of a rolling carry-on bag. To further protect your valuable gear, a seam-sealed rain cover is included for wet weather conditions.
The Watson NP-FZ100 V3 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack is compatible with the same camera models as the Sony NP-FZ100 battery, and also supports the latest generation camera models. This replacement battery pack features a capacity of 2250mAh, 7.2V of output power, and 16.2 watt-hours. Small and lightweight, lithium-ion batteries can be charged or discharged at any time in their load cycle without developing memory effect.