The Hoya 49mm Center-Spot Filter is a concentric soft-focus filter that is designed to allow the center of an image to be rendered sharp, while the remainder of the frame is softened. This filter can be applied to help ensure that a viewer's attention is directed to the center of any image taken with it.
Occupying the area within the filter ring is a close-up lens with a hole cut out of its center. A close-up lens is a magnifier that optically decreases the focal length of a camera lens it is placed on. This effect lessens the minimum focus distance between a camera lens and an object, creating a secondary effect of only allowing a very shallow depth-of-field. Objects or persons photographed with this filter while framed within the hole cut out of its center are unmagnified and not subject to this shallow depth-of-field. They can then be focused upon normally while the surrounding image area is blurred due to falling outside the shallow depth-of-field created by the Hoya 49mm Center-Spot Filter.
- Concentric design featuring a close-up lens with a hole cut out of its center allows objects or persons framed within that hole to be focused upon normally, while the surrounding image area is subject to a shallow depth-of-field
- Focusing on subjects framed within hole cut out of close-up lens's center causes the surrounding image area to be blurred due to falling outside the close-up lens's shallow depth-of-field
- Helps ensure that the viewer's attention is directed toward the center of the image
- Optical glass construction of close-up lens
- 49mm front filter threads allow for use with other filters
- Plastic filter case for storage and transport