The R144 from MXL is a figure-8 ribbon microphone designed for recording vocals and instruments in commercial and project studios.
Its figure-8 polar pattern allows pickup of sounds from the front and back of the mic, while maximizing sound rejection from both sides. This provides a directional focus in front of the microphone, and allows room reflections behind the mic to be captured. Its 20 Hz - 17 kHz frequency response features a slight boost in the upper and lower midrange frequencies. This makes it well-suited for vocals, horns, electric guitars, bass, strings, and drum rooms, which often benefit from softened highs and thickened mids. The aluminum ribbon element, 1.8 microns thick and 47mm long, handles up to 130 dB SPL without distortion.
The supplied shockmount decouples the mic from a stand, reducing the pickup of rumble. The provided aluminum flight case ensures the mic's safety during storage or transport.
- Dynamic ribbon mic does not require phantom power
- Figure-8 polar pattern captures more room sound than cardioid mics do
- Aluminum ribbon element is 1.8 microns thick and 47mm long
- 20 Hz – 17 kHz frequency response for mellow high frequencies
- High maximum SPL allows safe use on loud sources, such as electric guitars and horns
- Includes shockmount for reduced transfer of rumble and unwanted vibration through the mic stand
- Aluminum flight case for safe transport and storage
- Microfiber cleaning cloth included