The 4pre from MOTU is a compact hybrid digital audio interface that features both FireWire and USB 2.0 connectivity. The interface can also function as a standalone mixer without the need for a computer. Four individual microphones or two stereo pairs can be recorded via the combo microphone/guitar inputs.
The transparent preamps offer individually switchable phantom power and a -20dB pad, with all settings adjustable on the front panel, or from the included CueMix software. Two guitar jacks provide high-impedance load characteristics suitable for passive and active pickups. Line inputs can be matched for keyboards, analog mixers, effects processors, or other equipment with difference reference levels.
Four analog outputs allow for connecting powered studio monitors to the main outs, while separate line outs can be used for a variety of purposes, either mirroring the main outs, or acting as a completely independent output pair. Two headphone jacks facilitate working with others. Digital input/output make digital transfers easy with support for sample rates of up to 96kHz.
Digitally controlled analog trim deliver analog quality with digital precision with the ability to save and recall trim settings. The S/PDIF digital inputs can also be trimmed. Immediate volume adjustments are always within reach, so the interface serves as the perfect compact, portable live mixer, with or without a computer.
The included CueMix software delivers on-screen mixing and control and can be operated side by side with any host audio software for Mac or Windows. It can also be controlled from the Mackie Control Universal Pro work surface, or any HUI-compatible controller. Additionally it provides talkback and listen back features, along with a range of software analysis tools.
The 4pre can be daisy chained to another pre or MOTU audio interface. Direct SMPTE time code sync is supported without the need for a separate synchronizer. The included SMPTE Console software (for Mac OS X and Windows) provides a complete set of tools to generate SMPTE for striping, regenerating or slaving other devices to the computer.
- 6 x 8 audio interface for Mac and Windows with all channels available simultaneously and operating independently
- Hybrid FireWire/USB 2.0 connectivity
- Eight-bus digital mixer routes and mixes all six inputs to any output pair
- Four separate mixes - each output pair (main outs, line outs, S/PDIF out, and phones) can have a completely different mix of all six inputs, with or without computer tracks
- Four combo jacks provide four XLR microphone inputs, two hi-Z 1/4" guitar inputs, and stereo line-level (+4/-10) input
- Microphone inputs provide individual preamps, phantom power, a 20dB pad, Precision Digital Trim (digitally controlled analog trim on all inputs provides adjustments in approximately 1.0dB increments), and plenty of gain
- Stereo main outs on balanced 1/4" TRS jacks for connecting directly to powered speakers (or other line-level analog destination)
- Stereo 24-bit/96kHz S/PDIF digital input and output
- Two headphone outputs with independent volume control for each phone output
- Headphone output can be either the same as main outs or completely independent
- Supports standard sample rates up to 96kHz
- Fine-tune the balance of inputs and then save/recall trim configurations
- Front-panel mixing and control
- Each input has its own dedicated volume knob
- Control multiple mixes with clear feedback from front panel LEDs and metering
- Independent volume control of the main outs and phone output, or mirror the main outs on both phone jacks
- CueMix FX cross-platform mixing software
- On-screen graphic mixing with an instrument tuner and audio analysis tools including real-time FFT display, spectrogram "waterfall" display, oscilloscope, X-Y plot and linear or polar phase analysis
- Stand-alone operation allows for bringing the 4pre to a gig, with or without a computer
- Need to tweak the mix? Just turn the front-panel knobs
- Add additional interfaces for more I/O as needs grow
- Time code support directly resolves to (or generates) time code via any quarter-inch input or output, without the need for an extra synchronizer
- Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS), a DSP-driven phase lock engine and internal clock source produces imperceptibly low jitter characteristics (below the noise floor), even when the 4pre is resolved to an external clock source via SMPTE time code
- DC-coupled TRS outputs
- Can be used with Volta (sold separately) to manipulate and sequence voltage-controlled modular synthesizers from a host DAW
- Plug-and-play operation with a Mac or PC via FireWire or USB2 (compatible with all current and recent generation Macs and PCs)
- Native 32- and 64-bit drivers for Mac OS X and Windows 7/Vista
- Includes ASIO, WDM, Wave, Core Audio, and Core MIDI drives
- Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software and fully compatible with 3rd-party software
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for the Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing and sample-accurate sync
- No need for external power when operating as a FireWire interface connected to a computer
- Power supply included for stand-alone or USB2 operation
- Compact form factor