Hasselblad's H system cameras have been a cornerstone of the professional digital market since their inception. The H4D-31 Medium Format DSLR Camera with the 35-90mm f/4.0-5.6 HCD Lens follows suit with a remarkable bounty of creative options. This 31MP digital camera system brings photographic excellence to the fingertips of even more photographers - those looking to step-up from the 35mm DSLR format and discriminating professionals seeking to round out their creative options.
The creative opportunities and commercial appeal of medium format is unmistakable - taking photography and photographic careers to new heights. Following the path of its predecessors - the H4D-40, 50, and 60 - the H4D-31 boasts the same features that enhance photographer's work and helps to expand their vision.
The camera's digital back, or digital brain if you will, houses the extra-large 31MP (33 x 44mm) CCD image sensor, which enables medium format capture. The back also provides intuitive menu navigation displayed on the 3" LCD, and 1 CF card slot which houses CF cards of any size. In addition to being the muscle behind the H4D-31, the back can also be used on view cameras with a Hasselblad H adapter on the back.
Venturing outside the box, this camera opens one up to the world of the H System, which provides numerous lens and accessory options. The 31 is compatible with an impressive array of optics, including all the HC and HCD lenses. As if that wasn't enough - Hasselblad offers CF lens owners the incredible option of using their existing lenses with the optional CF lens adapters - several generations of classic Zeiss glass awaits...
Hasselblad's 35-90mm f/4.0-5.6 HCD aspherical zoom lens is included with this H4D-31. This lens is a wide-to-normal zoom lens capable of handling many general shooting situations. This lens is specifically designed for use with medium format digital camera and integrates an optical design with aspherical elements to garner the greatest sharpness, contrast, and overall image quality possible.
Expanding the camera's flexibility is the optional CF lens adapter which allows all C-type lenses from the V system to be used on the H4D-31, as well as any other H system camera. V system film photographers can step-up to digital with the Carl Zeiss lenses they known, loved, and relied upon. Additional accessory options include a tilt and shift adapter, the waist-level viewfinder, and numerous other tools designed to meet the diverse needs of the serious photographer. The camera also comes with the HV 90x eye-level viewfinder with diopter adjustment and a built-in flash, a rechargeable lithium-ion battery built-into the camera's grip, battery charger, and a FireWire-800 cable.
Renowned for blazing-fast autofocus speeds, the H system is very well suited to capturing on-the-fly action as it is studio shooting - making the step-up from the 35mm DLSR format painless; in fact, a joy. Hasselblad gave its H system cameras the same flexibility of smaller cameras, while providing more room to play and experiment. The back's 31MP sensor captures brilliant images with tack-sharp detail - giving the photographer the ability to capture ultra-shallow depth of field, or to create larger than life reproductions, without losing image quality. Proprietary features like True Focus and Absolute Position Lock go even farther to ensure spot-on focus, while Hasselblad's Natural Color Solution reproduces color with stunning accuracy.
With a 1/800th sync speed, an integral hot shoe, speed light connectivity, and an ISO range of 100-1600 the H4D-31 is built to capture the highest quality images in any situation. (With a 4GB CF card installed, the RAW 3FR file format can store up to 100 images.) Hasselblad's 3F RAW file provides lossless image compression that can be processed in Hasselblad's Phocus 2.6 software and in Apple or Adobe's imaging environments. Screen layout and tool palettes in Phocus 2.6 are fully customizable, while features like moiré removal technology, Hasselblad's Natural Color Solution, and Digital Auto Correction make for surprisingly painless, yet stellar image processing. The included FireWire-800 cable allows you to shoot tethered - regardless of whether you use a Mac or PC.
The complete H4D-31 camera - the digital back, body, lens, and viewfinder - has an ergonomic, yet solid feel that puts quality into the photographer's hands that can not only be seen, but felt. From its smooth and incredibly fast capture speeds to the unbelievable color reproduction, this 31MP medium format camera not only looks the part, but backs it up. Hasselblad's reputation for quality, craftsmanship, and legendary image making is evident with every frame.
With the purchase of this item, you are eligible for a free CD version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 software (registration and shipment is completed through Hasselblad's website).
Medium Format Digital Capture Advantage
The H4D-31 makes use of a new high speed capture architecture capturing full size images at the rate of 1.1 seconds per capture, working either mobile or tethered to a computer
The combination of these features makes the H4D-31 a natural choice for the professional commercial photographer wanting to work with high image quality within a camera system that supports ultimate creative expression in order to deliver outstanding images to satisfy the most demanding customer
Digital Lens Correction and Ultra-Focus
True Focus & Absolute Position Lock (APL)
Instant Approval Architecture
An Impressive Lens Line
The HTS 1.5 tilt/shift adapter delivers an easy to use, portable tilt/ shift solution for 5 HC/HCD lenses ranging from 28mm to 100mm. The CF adapter allows use of the classic CF-lenses from the Hasselblad V-camera, with full use of their central shutters, allowing flash to be employed at shutter speeds down to 1/500s. And thanks to the large format of the H System cameras, there is a considerably shallower depth of field range, making it much easier to utilize selective focus to creative effect
A Choice of Bright Viewfinders
Hasselblad's Unique Natural Colors
Tethered or Un-Tethered Operation
Meeting Commercial Challenges
Two Modes of Operation & Storage
Accessories Including GPS Recording Flexibility
Raising the Bar from H3D
- Camera electronics delivering the basis for True Focus and ultra fast Auto Focus
- Extra large 3" display on the H4D-31 provides a realistic, high quality and perfect contrast image view, even in bright sunlight
- Extended exposure time up to 4 min (256 sec) exposure
- AF assist lights for working in dark environments
- The choice of combining point-and-shoot and tilt/shift to solve creative commercial challenges
- The option of processing your raw images in Hasselblad's Phocus imaging toolbox, or working with your raw images directly in Apple or Adobe imaging environments
- 80MB/sec read-write performance on Extreme Pro cards from SanDisk
Phocus Software - Driving Down the Learning Curve
- Special Extended Camera Controls Special extended camera controls with which to operate your H4D-31 camera. These features, such as live video for easier shot set-up and workflow, or the ability to control the lens drive for focusing when the camera is in a remote position or when the digital capture unit is mounted on a view camera, bring an entirely new level of flexibility to the way you shoot
- Moiré Removal Technology Moiré Removal Technology automatically applied directly on the raw data, leaving image quality intact and eliminating the need to carry out special masking selections or other manual procedures, saving hours of tedious post-production work
- Flexible Workflow The Phocus GUI features easy-to-use options that allow you to customize your set-up to suit a range of different workflow situations, such as choice of import source, browsing/comparison functions, file management, image exporting a number of file formats, pre-setting of options for upcoming shoots, and more
- Extended Metadata The extended metadata included in all Phocus images provides for accurate and detailed cataloguing and indexing, easy image management, and includes added GPS data functionality in order to allow a range of new functions. Phocus links GPS data directly to Google Earth, for example, making geographic reference a snap and image storage and retrieval much easier
- 100% Viewing Quality The Phocus Viewer delivers image viewing quality that matches every detail of what you will see later in Photoshop. In addition, the Phocus Viewer allows you to customize layout and composition to suit your current or desired workflow, providing a wide range of options including full view, compare, browse, horizontal, or vertical view, and so on. You can have multiple folders open simultaneously for side-by-side viewing, comparison, and selection