With an eye for the discerning nature enthusiast, the Pentax 10x50 Z-Series ZD ED Binocular features multiple optical technologies to improve the image quality and ensure accurate colors in all weather and lighting conditions - especially in low light, such as dawn and dusk when many birds and game are most active.
The image-enhancement starts with the 50mm objective lenses that draw in copious amounts of light and extend the practical useable ability well beyond smaller objective optics. The lenses are made with hybrid aspherical elements and extra-low dispersion (ED) glass. The aspherical elements eliminate distortion around the edges of the lens for clear edge-to-edge views and corrects lens astigmatism that can prevent the ability to bring subjects into sharp focus. ED glass corrects for chromatic aberration to ensure colors are accurately rendered. Anti-reflect fully multicoated optics maximize light transmission through the entire optical path to make views appear bright and crisp, especially in low light. Finally, the BAK4 roof prisms are phase-corrected to enhance contrast and further correct chromatic aberration. These technologies work together to produce bright and clear high-contrast images with virtually no distortion and accurate colors.
Complementing the optical performance is a housing that is built for a lifetime of rugged outdoor use. The chassis is made of a lightweight and durable magnesium alloy with a rubberized armor that protects against impacts while providing a slip-resistant grip. The optical tubes are nitrogen filled for fogproof performance and O-ring sealed to make the binocular submersible to as much as 3.3'. A protective external lens coating helps to repel dust, water, and oil to ensure obstruction-free viewing. The larger objectives add weight and bias the center of balance forward which could lead to user fatigue and possible hand-shake, so for steadier views during longer glassing sessions, the binocular is tripod mountable with an optional adapter.
- 10x magnification
- 50mm objective lenses
- BAK4 Roof prism optical path
- Anti-reflection fully multicoated optics
- Extra-low dispersion (ED) glass reduces chromatic aberration for sharper images with accurate color
- Phase corrected prisms produce high-contrast images with true color rendition
- Hybrid aspherical lens elements correct for spherical aberrations to reduce distortion at the edges of the lens and corrects for astigmatism that can prevent sharp focusing
- 262' field of view at 1000 yards
- 50° angle of view
Use and Handling
- Closed bridge configuration
- Large knurled center focus wheel
- Right-eye diopter adjustment
- 22mm long eye relief, 5.0mm exit pupil
- Twist-up eyecups for use with or without eye wear
- Tripod mountable with optional adapter
- Lightweight and durable magnesium alloy housing
- Rubberized armoring protects against impacts and provides slip-resistant grip
- Nitrogen-filled, fogproof and submersible to 3.3' (1m)
- Internal focusing system helps to maintain waterproof seals
- Dust/water/grease repellent coatings keeps the optical surfaces clean