Designed for long-exposure wide-field astrophotography, the Vixen Optics Advanced Polaris Photoguider provides a complete imaging platform for your user-supplied DLSR and lens. This rig includes a motorized equatorial mount, polar alignment scope, the STAR BOOK ONE controller, and an adjustable-height tripod.
The mount has a Vixen-style dovetail plate with two 1/4"-20 mounting screws for a DSLR body and a foot for larger lenses that come equipped with one. This plate provides a solid mounting point and fits into a saddle on the mount. An integrated polar alignment scope mount provides an easy way to polar align the mount for accurate long-duration tracking across the arc of the night sky. Pulse motors move the mount on the two axes and provide smooth motion with virtually zero vibration. The mount runs on 12 VDC power using the included car/vehicle adapter. Supporting the mount is the APP-TL130 tripod. It has three leg sections and collapses down to just about 24" long. Its legs are adjustable from 22.4" to 51" with a total height adjustable from 20.7" to 45.6".
Controlling the mount is the STAR BOOK ONE (SB1) hand controller to help find, observe, and track celestial objects. Since near and deep sky objects appear to move at different speeds, the SB1 features celestial, solar, lunar, and King's rate tracking speeds. Four slew speeds are available for when you need to move the mount to find an object or re-center your subject. For enhanced accuracy the SB1 features backlash compensation and Periodic Error Correction (PEC) for addressing errors that are common with any tracking system, which can otherwise lead to blurry images or star streaks. An integrated autoguider port adds to the mount's usability.
- Drive Motor: Pulse Motor
- Altitude Adjustment: Latitude between 0 and 65°
- RA Axis: 59mm diameter, aluminum alloy
- DEC Axis: 59mm diameter, aluminum alloy
- Worm and Wheel Gears with 140 Tooth whole circle micro-movement
- Vixen-style dovetail plate with two 1/4"-20 mounts
- Vixen-style dovetail saddle
- 20mm diameter steel counterweight bar
- Counterweight: 2.2 lb (1.0 kg)
STAR BOOK ONE
- Powered by mount through connector port
- LED display screen backlight
- Red backlit keypad
- Independent screen and keypad dimming control
- ST-4 compatible integrated autoguider port
- Sidereal tracking with different tracking speeds: Celestial, solar, lunar, and King's rate
- Variable manual slewing speeds from 0.1x to 999x
- Backlash compensation
- Periodic error correction (PEC) removes inaccuracies inherent in gears and allows for more accurate tracking, especially for long-exposure astrophotography
- Adjustable screen brightness
- Selectable tracking for Northern and Southern hemisphere