Offered as an electronic download, the Bazille from U-HE is a large modular software synth sporting a multitude of connectivity options. Oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, filters, inverters, rectifiers—you can daisy-chain them all in whatever way you see fit, stringing modules together with virtual patch-cables. This feature, combined with various drop-down menus for many parameters, allows you to go truly wild when creating sounds from the ground up.
The synth can be used in music recording, post production, and even in live settings, if your system can handle the CPU load. It features four oscillators combining two assignable wave-types in selectable configurations, a sequencer that can modulate any aspect of the synthesizer, a section for MIDI-mapping (should you wish to bypass the MIDI-learn function) and a dedicated effects processor which includes a three-pronged delay (left, center, and right).
Direct your eyes to the top of the graphic interface and you'll see an adjustable oscilloscope providing exact readouts of the waveform you're currently triggering, and just below that, a mix section with volume and pan controls over its two channels. You can feed these channels however you see fit.
Bazille's graphic interface is rooted in the hardware module synthesizers of old, but U-HE hasn't shied away from 21st century updates. For instance, an on-board quantizer can turn modulating variables into a process that is neatly chromatic, messily atonal, or anything in between. Also, it's possible to patch one single module into multiple output points, making truly bizarre sounds in the process. MIDI-learn and MIDI-unlearn for select features are achievable with the right-click of your mouse. Don't discount the preset library either: it's both vast and accepting of your commentary; you can tag any preset as a "favorite" or, conversely, "junk." As an added bonus, you'll never run out of patch-cables, as this synthesizer does not exist in corporeal form.
- 4x digital oscillators with simultaneous FM (frequency modulation), PD (phase distortion) and FR (fractal resonance)
- 4x multi-mode analog-type filters with up to 6 parallel outputs apiece
- 4x modeled effects: stereo delay, distortion, phaser, spring reverb
- 4x ADSR-type envelopes
- 2x LFOs with 3x parallel outputs apiece
- Signal processors include inverter, rectifier, sample & hold, lag generators, and quantizer
- 2x Tap-mappers to create custom LFO waveforms
- 8x 16-step morphing sequencer
- Multiplex modules for signal mixing, RM (ring modulation), AM (amplitude modulation)
- Multi-channel MIDI support
- Virtual patch cables included