An update on the well-regarded HD 800, the HD 800 S by Sennheiser comprises a pair of open-back headphones designed for use in studio situations, particularly when referencing between monitors and cans. Its 56mm transducer is housed in stainless steel, while its headband and mounting utilize industrial, aerospace-grade materials to emphasize durability at a relatively light weight of 11.6 oz. Sennheiser's proprietary sound absorber technology preserves the integrity of the highest of high ends by eliminating the "masking effect," a phenomenon in which the ear struggles to hear particularly bright signals when lower-frequency material occurs simultaneously at a louder volume. In reducing this masking effect, every nuance of the frequency spectrum is represented and made audible.
The design of its earcups directs sound to the ear at a subtle angle, thereby aiding in a realistic—and realistically stereo—monitoring experience. Additionally, there are two different possibilities for audio connection: a stereo 1/4" connector, and a 4.4mm balanced cable for connecting to balanced outputs, such as a headphone amplifier.
- Open-back, circumaural dynamic sound reproduction achieved through absorber technology
- 4 Hz to 51 kHz frequency response
- 300 Ohm impedance
- Matte-black metal parts
- Realistic and natural sound field with minimal resonance
- Large transducers with finely crafted dynamic transducer design
- Uncovered earcups for enhanced acoustics
- Handcrafted ear pads made of microfiber fabric
- Metal headband with an inner damping element
- Tuned and balanced impedance-matching cable with low capacitance
- High-precision headphone connectors