Executing a multiple camera shoot with the SlingStudio Hub gives you the freedom to wirelessly connect multiple video sources for recording, streaming, or live switching. The compact, lightweight enclosure houses all the recording, streaming, and wireless tasks, while the production can be live-switched from an iPad or Mac running the Console app.
SlingStudio Hub features include chroma keying to enable the use of live video sources such as backgrounds and motion-graphics importing for the creation of animated lower thirds. Video sources can be reordered and can be switched using voice-activation or custom-timed intervals. The Hub uses a special low-delay mode optimized for teleconferencing and can live stream without the use of a recording device. A PiP function features multiple positioning options, and instant replay intervals can last up to 10 minutes.
Cameras can be connected to the SlingStudio Hub wirelessly or with an HDMI cable. Compatible iOS and Android mobile devices can connect directly over the Studio Hub's Wi-Fi connection, while standard video cameras can connect to separately available CameraLink Wi-Fi transmitters or directly via the Hub's HDMI connection. Up to ten sources can be connected simultaneously, any combination of four live 1080p30 or 720p60 input sources can be switched, recorded, and streamed, and up to 10 sources can be connected at any given time. If you only need to switch, record, or stream two sources, resolutions up to 1080p60 can be used.
Not only can the SlingStudio Hub facilitate live streaming, it also offers a simple workflow for post-production. All media being input into the Hub can be recorded as industry-standard, high-quality H.264 ISO video files to either an SD card or hard drive connected via USB Type-C or via USB 3.0 through the separately available USB Type-C Expander. In all, isolated (ISO) feeds of each input channel, the final switched output, line-in audio, and multiview of the isolated channels can be recorded simultaneously. An HDMI to Mini HDMI adapter cable is included for connecting the video output to a standard display, projector, or secondary recording or streaming hardware. The HDMI output can be set to no-latency pass-through mode so any live video being displayed will be in sync with the house audio.
Several separately available accessories can enhance the abilities of the SlingStudio Hub. A battery allows the Hub to operate without mains power, great for impromptu field setups where access to power is limited. The USB Type-C Expander offers multiple USB connections for storage, and a wired Ethernet connection for wired streaming. Altogether, you can build an extremely versatile video production platform.
Note: Check the SlingStudio website for an updated list of compatible mobile devices, computers, iPads, and recording media.
- Switcher: Switch between 10 different video sources using the Console app running on iPad or Mac
- Live stream without a storage device when not recording
- Ability to reorder video sources
- Video transitions: Cut, dissolve, wipe
- Instant replay segments of up to 10 minutes
- Video compositions: Picture in Picture (PiP) with multiple positions and multiple split views
- Audio mixer: Full audio mixer functionality with monitoring mode support, supports always-on audio (ON) or audio follows video (AFV) for all video input sources
- Overlays: Lower-thirds (title and scoreboard), text overlays
- Custom graphics: Insert, resize, and change the transparency of your own JPG and PNG graphics—including logos, lower-thirds, profile pics, ads, or background images—and overlay them on your live program feed
- Chroma key: Use chroma key (green screen) in your productions, including using live video sources as backgrounds
- Motion graphics: Import your own motion graphic overlays using chroma keying to use as animated lower thirds, logos, etc.
- Auto-switching: Switch between video sources automatically using custom time intervals or voice-activated switching
- Videoconferencing/low-delay mode: Special low-delay mode optimized for teleconferencing with talent in a remote location
If you recorded higher-resolution footage internally with the individual cameras used in your production, the plug-in can analyze the recorded footage and replace the lower-resolution SlingStudio Hub recordings with the camera originals. This allows you to remaster your live broadcasts in 4K, or higher resolutions, while keeping all the production choices you made in the moment.