Offering a versatile feature-set to please photographers and videographers alike, the black Lumix GX9 from Panasonic is a Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera that is also characterized by its rangefinder-inspired body design and sleek form factor. Featuring a 20.3 MP Digital Live MOS sensor, along with a Venus Engine image processor, the GX9 is able to record UHD 4K movies at 30 or 24 fps, record full-resolution stills at up to 9 fps with AF-S or 8MP stills at 30 fps, and work in difficult lighting situations with a top sensitivity of ISO 25600. Additionally, complementing the imaging capabilities, is a Dual I.S.2 system that offers the use of both in-camera and in-lens image stabilization systems to effectively minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four stops.
In regard to the physical design, the GX9 incorporates a tilting 2.76m-dot electronic viewfinder and a tilting 3.0" 1.24m-dot rear LCD touchscreen to suit working from a variety of angles. A top dual dial affords direct adjustment of both exposure compensation and shooting mode settings, and the top plate also avails access to a hot shoe as well as a built-in pop-up flash. For remote use of the camera, integrated Bluetooth LE allows wireless control over the shutter and select shooting functions with a linked mobile device, and built-in Wi-Fi can also be used for transferring imagery to a smartphone or tablet.
20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
UHD 4K Video Recording
4K PHOTO Modes
- Burst: this mode will allow you to continuously record, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: this mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): this mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
Body Design and Built-In Bluetooth
- A large Live View Finder features a unique tilting design to benefit working from low angles and also has an impressive 2.76m-dot resolution and 0.7x magnification.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.0" 1.24m-dot rear LCD monitor has an 80° upward, 45° downward tilting design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- The sleek flat-body profile incorporates both front and rear dials for intuitive control over aperture and shutter speed settings. Stacked and dedicated top dials are also available for direct adjustment over exposure compensation and shooting mode selection.
- Built-in Bluetooth 4.2 (Low Energy) allows you to wirelessly control camera settings and release the shutter and maintains full-time connection between the camera and mobile device with low energy consumption. For wirelessly transferring files, Wi-Fi is available for faster transfer speeds.
Benefitting manual focus operation, focus peaking is available that highlights bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for quickly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist for touch-to-focus operation. MF Assist can also be used to increase magnification by up to 20x for more critical focusing on specific subjects.
Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens
Other Camera Features
- A mechanical focal plane shutter enables a top maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 sec, as well as a top flash sync speed of 1/200 sec. An electronic shutter function also avails a top shutter speed of 1/16,000 sec to better enable working in bright conditions and with wider aperture settings.
- More than 100 consecutive full-resolution JPG files can be captured in a burst, or approximately 30 consecutive raw files in a single burst.
- Raw image files can be processed in-camera for a more streamlined post-production workflow.
- Depending on the lens in use, the included rechargeable battery provides approximately 260 shots per charge when using the rear monitor, or 250 with the electronic viewfinder.
- The L. Monochrome D mode in Photo Styles simulates a distinctly retro B&W film feeling to offer more options for producing captivating monochromatic imagery.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, L. Monochrome D, Scenery, Portrait, and Custom. Each of these effects can be combined with Grain Effect to increase texture within images.
- Creative Control modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.