For podcasts, sound effects, and music recording applications, the Tascam DR-40X portable handheld recorder is capable of capturing up to four tracks of high-resolution audio with no external microphones required. Its onboard unidirectional condenser mics can be set for a wide or tight stereo image, and may be used simultaneously with the mic/line combo inputs. Equally adept as a handheld device or when used in stand- or camera-mounted setups, the DR-40X can handle anything from sampling sessions and interviews to podcasts and live concerts.
Flexible powering methods—batteries, USB bus power, or an AC adapter—make the DR-40X well suited to on-the-go recording, all-day video shoots, and computer-based audio production. Need to patch in external mics or an outboard mixer? The DR-40X's two balanced XLR-1/4" inputs accommodate mic- or line-level signals (even +4 dBu from professional consoles) and can supply phantom power if needed. Whether you use the built-in mics or an external source, selectable modes such as stereo safety track recording, peak reduction, limiting, and auto level give you options for achieving a clean, undistorted recording.
Easily pivot the capsules between two mic configurations to complement your sound source—use the A-B position (capsules facing outward) to produce a wide stereo image, or switch to the X-Y position (capsules facing inward) if you need a tighter stereo field with a strong center presence and fewer phase differences.
Mitigate wind noise and low-frequency rumble by selecting the low-cut filter, which can be set at 40, 80, or 120 Hz. You can even choose to apply a hall, room, studio, or plate reverb preset to the input or output signal. Upon playback, treble, mid, and bass frequencies may be boosted or reduced for custom output tone.
- 128 x 64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- Quick-menu button for easy access to various functions
- 10 menu languages
- Delay compensation function eliminates time lags caused by differences in the distances of two sets of inputs from the sound source
- Overwrite function for punch-in recording with one level of undo
- Dictation mode designed for human voice recording and transcription
- Adjustable playback speed from 0.5 to 2 times (in 0.1 increments) at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz
- MS decoding function allows proper stereo monitoring of a mid-side mic configuration
- Automatically creates a new file when the maximum file size is reached
- File divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback
- Resume function retains the last stop point even when the DR-40X is powered off/on
- Jump-back playback feature skips back 1 to 10, 20, or 30 seconds during playback
- Up to 99 marks (locate points) per track
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- Chromatic tuner
- Built-in rubber feet reduce the transfer of vibrations from a desktop or table to the onboard microphones