Pristine, versatile, and portable, the MOTU M4 desktop 4x4 USB Type-C audio/MIDI interface combines high-class audio performance, a robust bundle of DAWs, virtual instruments, loops, and samples, and a feature set that makes it equally powerful and user-friendly for musicians, podcasters, and producers, all at a highly affordable price point.
With its two front-panel mic/line/instrument preamps and two rear-panel line inputs, the M4 can record anything from dynamic and condenser microphones to electric guitars and drum machines in distortion-free, sparkling clarity. Equipped with top-notch ESS digital-to-analog converters that drive the main outs and the headphone jack, the M4 lets you monitor through your speakers and headphones with the dynamic range normally found only on much more expensive interfaces.
Use the M4's digital loopback channels to easily route audio from your computer directly into your host software—record remote podcast guests from Skype or any other VoIP software without incurring horrible feedback, or livestream a mix of live inputs and the computer's output.
The M4 is equally suitable for producers, thanks to its MIDI 5-pin I/O. Plug in a MIDI keyboard to control virtual instruments such as the selection of over 100 VIs included with the M4. Or, run MIDI from the M4 to your favorite hardware synth to capture its glorious tones through the M4's pristine analog preamps.
No matter what you do, the M4's specially engineered drivers ensure ultralow-latency monitoring so you can rehearse and record in real time without hearing any distracting echo, and the full-color LCD screen shows you high-resolution metering for all inputs and outputs at all times. Take the M4 anywhere you need to work; it is bus-powered and compatible with Mac/Windows computers and iOS mobile devices.
Professional-Level Audio Quality
Loopback Channels for Podcast Recording and Live Streaming
Line Inputs and Line Outputs
Hardware Monitoring and Input Mix Knob
Integrates with MIDI Gear and Analog Synths
Audio Interface or Standalone Operation
Alternatively, by using a USB Type-C power adapter, the M4 can be used as a standalone preamp and basic mixer, no host computer required. Simply engage the monitor button for each input (and 48V phantom power, if needed), and adjust the preamp gain. Connect the main outs to any line-level destination, such as a PA or patch bay.
Key Features at a Glance
- USB Type-C audio interface with professional-level sound, four inputs, and four outputs
- Easy-to-read metering for all inputs/outputs, with a full-color LCD
- Two XLR-1/4" mic/line/Hi-Z guitar inputs and two balanced 1/4" line inputs
- Individual preamp gain and 48V phantom power for each input
- Four balanced, DC-coupled 1/4" TRS outputs for feeding monitors, outboard gear, or even hardware synthesizers and sequencers
- Four mirrored RCA unbalanced outputs
- One stereo headphone output, driven by ESS converters, with independent volume control
- Supports resolutions up to 32-bit / 192 kHz
- USB audio class compliant for plug-and-play operation on Mac or iOS (driver required for Windows)
- Driver loopback for capturing host output, live streaming, and podcasting
- MIDI I/O on 5-pin DIN jacks
- Rugged metal construction
- Kensington security slot