Colossal Focal Length, Lightweight Design
Unparalleled length with a distinctly compact and lightweight design, the Canon RF 1200mm f/8 L IS USM is a super-telephoto prime offering a premium mixture of optics quality, intuitive handling, and professional-grade durability. As one of the longest focal lengths available, this lens excels in wildlife and sports applications, offering uniquely close-up views of distant subjects. Combined with responsive AF, apt image stabilization, and a surprisingly lightweight design, the 1200mm f/8 is a specialized lens with a versatile feature-set.
L Series Optics
- Featuring an optical design based on past EF and RF super-telephoto lenses, this lens features top-range optics designed for the most demanding shooting applications.
- Two fluorite, one Super Ultra Low-Dispersion (UD), and one UD element virtually eliminate chromatic aberrations for outstanding clarity and color accuracy, void of chromatic aberrations or fringing.
- Advanced optical design also contributes to the sleeker, more portable form factor of this RF-mount, mirrorless lens.
- Both Air Sphere and Super Spectra Coatings improve image quality by maintaining high contrast and color accuracy while reducing lens flare and ghosting when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a smooth bokeh quality.
USM Autofocus and Image Stabilization
- Ultrasonic Motor delivers fast, accurate, and near silent autofocus performance to benefit both photo and video applications.
- Impressively close 14.1' minimum focusing distance, and a maximum magnification of 0.29x, suit working with nearby subjects, such as close-range wildlife, birds, and athletes.
- Variable speed manual focusing offers three options for greater focusing control and full-time manual focus support permits making focus adjustments without switching modes.
- Two focus presets can be stored for immediate recall to a specified focus distance.
- Focus range limiter improves responsiveness by constraining the usable focusing range.
- Benefitting handheld and monopod-based shooting, Optical Image Stabilization compensates for 4 stops of camera shake for sharper imagery. Due to the long focal length, in-body image stabilization, or Coordinated IS, from EOS R-series bodies is not supported with with this lens.
Intuitive Handling and Professional Reliability
- Relatively lightweight and compact, this 1200mm f/8 lens weighs 7.4 lb and measures 21.1"-long, making it realistic to use atop a monopod or even handheld for short periods of time.
- Built-in rotating tripod mount suits working with the lens atop a monopod or tripod and enables quick switching between vertical and horizontal shooting orientations.
- Weather-sealed design for reliable use in inclement conditions.
- Fluorine coating on the front element helps repel moisture, dust, and fingerprints and is also easier to clean.
- Distinctive heat-resistant white paint finish.
- Accepts drop-in style 52mm filters toward the rear of the lens.
- Compatible with optional Extender RF 1.4x and 2x teleconverters for further extending the effective reach of this lens.