The Tiffen 138mm Mounted Low Contrast 1 Filter can be applied to purposely reduce contrast while photographing an image or while recording video. By redistributing illumination from brighter to darker areas within a scene, this filter is useful in helping to balance the tonal range among highlights and shadows. Detail is increased within shadow regions while a halation effect around highlights is created which can further enhance a scene's appearance or produce a desired effect.
This filter has a grade of 1. Grades of 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are also available where this filter type's effect becomes approximately twice as strong with each grade number increase.
This filter is made using ColorCore technology, a process that involves laminating the filter substrate between 2 pieces of optical glass and grinding flat to a tolerance of 1/10,000th of an inch. No front or rear threads are included on this filter's ring, or mount, which is 138mm in diameter and designed for use in third-party or custom filter holders.
- Reduces contrast for photography or while recording video
- Mounted without front or rear threads for use in third-party or custom filter holders for film and television cameras
- Redistributes illumination from highlights to shadows within a scene
- Helps balance the tonal range among highlights and shadows
- Increases shadow detail while creating halation effect around highlights
- Padded pouch included for storage and transport