Designed for acoustic instruments sporting passive electronics, the ToneDEQ Preamp from Fishman is designed to provide tonal shaping effects, compression, onboard digital effects, and a discrete, Class A JFET analog signal path. Quite suitable for use on stage, the device provides a 1/4" input jack specifically tailored to match passive pickups, as well as a 1/4" output for use with amplifiers or other compatible devices. Also offered is a balanced XLR DI output intended to interface with mixers, PAs, and recording equipment. This output, which is automatically ground-lifting to eliminate hum, sports the ability to route signal either before or after the EQ section.
Note the selectable low-cut filter to the right of the Low, Mid, and High knobs. This filter helps eliminate rumbling, letting you to attenuate problematic noise at and below three selectable low frequencies. Additionally, a one-knob compressor with variable threshold helps tame your dynamics, giving you the ability to work a little less hard at obtaining an even level on stage. A digital effects section, routed completely parallel to the analog stage, provides two delays, two reverbs, two choruses, a flanger, and a tremolo. You can use the reverb/delay section and the modulation effects simultaneously.
An input trim pot helps cut or boost the intrinsic level of your instrument’s pickups, while an output volume knob sets the overall level after the tonal, dynamics, and effects processing. Should you wish to add volume to solos or other such moments on stage, a boost switch has been provided. The variable gain can be tweaked by the boost pot located on the side of the unit. The ToneDEQ can run on a 9V battery or with an optional power supply.
Key Features at a Glance
- 10-MOhm, discrete Class A JFET design
- All-analog output signal path with parallel digital effects
- 4-band EQ with Bass, Middle, Treble, and selectable Low Cut
- Reverbs, delays, choruses, flanger, and tremolo effects
- Soft-knee compressor
- Boost footswitch (up to 9 dB)
- Selectable phase invert for feedback suppression
- 1/4” mono instrument input, 1/4” amplifier output, and balanced XLR DI output with pre/post routing
- Powered by 9-volt battery (available separately), or Fishman 910-R power adapter (optional)