A definitive legend for decades, the Neumann U 87 Ai Studio Set is a large-diaphragm condenser microphone offering the timeless and special sound that remains highly coveted for singers, voice-over artists, announcers, producers, and recording engineers to this day. By combining the same dual-diaphragm capsule design as the heralded U 67 with FET circuitry and a transformer-balanced output, the U 87 Ai retains the voicing that made the U 87 famous while ensuring low-noise performance and optimal signal purity.
The U 87 Ai's dual-diaphragm capsule, which is elastically suspended, affords the selection of three polar patterns (omni, cardioid, and figure-8) to enhance versatility in the studio. Additionally, the mic provides a switchable -10 dB pad that allows it to capture SPLs up to 127 dB without distortion, and a low-cut filter for controlling buildup of low-frequency content. Whether it is used for broadcast, stage, or studio applications, the U 87 Ai presents the sought-after look, sound, and reputation of a true classic.
In honor of B&H's 50th anniversary, Neumann presents this limited-edition run, specially designed to celebrate five decades of creative partnership. This exclusive Special 50th Anniversary Edition embodies the commitment to excellence that B&H stands for. Get your hands on a piece of history with this distinctive edition.
- U 87 Ai microphone with titanium-colored finish
- Mic is engraved with: B&H logo, "50-Year Anniversary", and X of 25 (only 25 will be made)
- EA 87 MT Shockmount
- Booklet of authenticity signed by the Neumann CEO, Engineer who handmade the microphone, and B&H's CEO
- Black velvet gloves for handling
- Wooden box laser-etched with the B&H logo and special serial number
The U 87 Ai is the epitome of a large-diaphragm condenser microphone. Its tapered body and iconic design have become part of the collective consciousness—this is what a studio microphone looks like. The same is true of its sound; the U 87 Ai represents studio quality and has become the gold standard by which other microphones are measured.
What sets the U 87 Ai apart is its special combination of linearity and character. Although its on-axis frequency response is remarkably flat, it does exert certain charisma, making the U 87 Ai both versatile and instantly recognizable.
- The world’s most famous studio microphone
- Classic sound, instantly recognizable and versatile
- Balanced frequency response
- Elastically suspended dual-diaphragm capsule
- Omni, cardioid, and figure-8 polar patterns
- Switchable low-cut filter and -10 dB pad
- Low self-noise
- XLR 3-pin output
- 48V phantom powered
- Includes color-matched shockmount and wooden box